Understanding Skin Pigmentation
Skin Pigmentation Types and Remedies
Pigmentation defines as the coloring of the skin. The product that the skin cells produces is melanin that gives color to our skin, hair, and iris of the eye. Melanin, primarily, has a good function to us since it protects us from the harmful ultraviolet rays from the sun. The amount of melanin is determined whether it is white, black or brown skin but tanning can also affect the color of our skin. It varies into two types: Hyperpigmentation and Hypopigmentation. Hyperpigmentation means an excessive amount of melanin is produced into our skin and mostly can produce dark spots which is a common problem that sometimes can be covered with makeup but it is best to see a dermatologist for it while hypopigmentation is a loss of pigmentation or a decrease amount of melanin being produced.
Here are some common types of skin pigmentation:
- Albinism is an inherited skin defects and may appear white or pale yellow hair and gray eyes. We have a female neighbor that has this condition and people are like avoiding her or they keep on staring at her because she is different due to the color of her skin. This condition can really affect our self confidence and also can affect us emotionally. But there are certain treatment for this that involves protecting the skin and eyes from the sun. Treatment includes avoiding sun exposure, wearing long sleeves clothes that completely covers our skin, using sunscreen when you are out and wearing sunglasses to protect the eyes.
- Vitiligo is common with people that has an autoimmune disease and usually appear before the age of 40. It causes white patches of the skin and can also affect the eyes especially the retina, nose and mouth. The treatment of this is avoiding sun exposure and using sunscreens. You have to protect your skin also from any injury, it is advisable not to wear any jewelries if you have this condition since it can irritate the skin and can result to greater problems. You can use cosmetics such as concealers to cover the patches but you have to use cosmetics that are hypoallergenic.
- Melasma, also known as Chloasma, mostly will appear during pregnancy but can also develop if we have an excessive sun exposure or if we drink hormonal contraceptives and cosmetics that may cause an phototoxic reaction. The treatment for this is using cosmetics to cover the spots, use a higher protection factor sunscreen and avoid sun exposure, over the counter creams and mild skin whitening soap. But do not use any hydroquinone-based skin lighteners. For pregnant women, this usually disappears after you gave birth but it takes months. You can also ask your doctor about this if you want a faster treatment. Do not buy products that your friends may know this could harm your baby.
- Freckles are small dark brown mark and maybe inherited from your parents. Freckles usually may be seen to those people who have fair skin and those who are like brunnette or red hair. The spots may develop randomly especially after a randomly sun exposure. They may appear to such an early age of 1 and 2 years old. The treatments for this are still avoiding sun exposure and wearing sun screens with a higher factor like SPF30. When you are out, use your umbrella, hats and wear clothes like long sleeves that covers your entire body. Avoidance of sun peeking hours from 10 am to 4 pm is also very important to avoid any skin pigmentation problems. But if you want to get rid of your freckles completely you have to seek your doctor for some medical or surgical treatments. Do not try to remove it on your own it can cause a greater problem on your skin as well as your health. There is a good thing of having freckles. Most of the models today are booked for a certain photoshoot because they are unique and beautiful. Tyra Banks also liked the contestants in ANTM who has freckles like Fo and Dominique.
- Moles are mostly result of clustered pigment cells and they are permanent. They usually are benign but in some cases they can also be malignant through which you have to seek a doctor if any changes occur. Prevention of having a malignant is to avoid scratching your mole, do not apply anything to it especially creams, lotions etc. This is also a skin problem so you have to use suncreens and avoid sun exposure.
Skin problems commonly distract us that it can affect our work, self-confidence, emotional factor and psychological factors. But we have to think of ways not to stress ourselves with skin pigmentations. We have to take care our skin by eating nutritious foods like vegetables and fruits. My mother would always advise me to eat fresh tomatoes because it is good for our skin and can protect us from any cancer producing cells because it has lycopene. Eat foods rich in vitamin A for skin moisturization, and eat foods rich in Zinc for it can help heal skin blemishes. Over the counter creams are available for any skin pigmentations however this may take a long period of time to treat this. Thus, you have to be patient. Herbal treatment can also help us like using Aloe Vera can help heal the pigmentation. And if you use it daily, you can favorably see the results. Most importantly is to stay stress free.
As for your dry skin, when going for a shower, use warm water instead of hot water and do not take much time on the shower and bath tubs. Use pure soaps, cleansers (vegetable oil, olive oil or almond oil) and lotions with moisturizers. Avoid rubbing the skin and massage it in order for the blood to flow and release the oil in your skin. Use also lip balm or petroleum jelly if you have dry lips. But the most important treatment is to drink 8 glasses of water a day. For cracked heels, you can use petroleum jelly as well and lotion. What I do is every night I soak my feet with lotion that contains moisturizer and I can really see the changes in the heel of my foot. It appeared to be reddish in color. I can actually say that my feet are healthy. You can also make your own face mask, mashed an avocado or banana and apply it onto your face.
For oily skin, you have to clean your face thoroughly and remove make up before you go to bed. Drink lots of water and eat foods rich in protein but you have to cut down eating sugar or foods that contains sweets. Cut down also from eating foods that produces oil like meat or other fatty products.
For sensitive skin, use soaps that are hypo allergenic and non irritant. Drinking green tea is good for people with sensitive skin since it helps prevent sensitive skin reactions.