- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
Veronica's Random Dose - Controlling And Making That Pesky Cough Work For You.
Whether it's due to a cold or flu, seasonal allergies or an upper respiratory infection, coughing spells can be highly uncomfortable; even painful at times.
However, studies have shown that coughing in-of-itself isn't all bad. Rather, coughing can be quite useful in bringing up mucus, clearing the air passages, and ridding the body of infections.
In addition, since coughing "is a natural protective reflex, suppressing the cough reflex might have deleterious (or injurious, harmful) effects, especially if the cough is productive." - so stated Wikipedia.
Although coughing spells can become a nuisance, there is a way of controlling your cough and making it work for you.
* How To Control That Pesky (Yet Productive) Cough, And Make It Work For You.
A 1983 archival issue letter of the Brooklyn Lung Association, Fresh Air News suggested:
- "Breathe in deeply."
- "Hold your breath for a few seconds (no longer - you wouldn't want to deprive your brain from necessary oxygen)."
- "Cough twice, first to loosen (any) mucus, (second) to bring it up."
- "Breathe in by sniffing gently (through the nose)."
- "Get rid of (the) mucus (by using) strong tissues or paper towels."
Whatever you do, the article discouraged swallowing mucus, since it can upset your stomach.
* Productive Cough Vs. The Nonproductive Cough.
WebMD defines a productive cough as a cough that produces phlegm or mucus (sputum), and one that should not generally be suppressed.
Whereas the nonproductive cough is dry and does not produce phlegm or mucus (sputum). This type of cough "may develop towards the end of a cold, or after exposure to an irritant such as smoke or dust" ( http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/tc/coughs-topic-overview provides a detailed overview of the causes of both cough types).
In any event, persistent coughs (those that last for two weeks or more, or cease only to quickly return); whether they be productive or not, should always be checked out by a physician.
So if you have a productive cough that's associated with a cold or flu, seasonal allergies or upper respiratory infection, why not put these simple suggestions to use - Control and make that pesky cough work for you.
*[It is vital to note, that "coughing might be severe enough (in terms of
psychological, physical and social distress) to warrant treatment."] -
copywrite © 2009.
Don't forget your hanky!
- Your Brain And Your Immune System - Can You Really T...
Just pick up any newspaper, turn to any local news channel, or log-on to the Internet, and you'll see that the flu season is in full swing! How people choose to face the flu season however, is entirely up...
- The Simple Science Behind Chicken Soup - Why It's S...
With the cold and flu season steadily upon us, the mass populace are rushing to their local pharmacies to either get the flu shot administered, or to purchase medicine for cold and flu relief. Ironically,...
- Veronica's Random Dose - Dusicyon Thous - The Crab-E...
Among the arctic fox, gray fox, swift fox, and kit foxes, there is one fox that has stood out first and foremost in my mind - The crab-eating fox (Dusicyon thous). * The Crab-Eating Fox's Habitat. ...
- How To Control Your Child's Cough, Naturally.
In discussing cough and cold medicines, the FDA reports that