Health and Household Uses for White and Apple Cider Vinegar
I am always searching for household remedies to fill basic health and even household cleaning needs. I do not prefer to take medications or to use household chemicals if I am able to avoid them. Part of my reasoning is because of the effects of medications and chemicals on the body, as well as my home environment. I do like to watch out for my pet's health too, and many common cleansers are harmful for pets. The other part has to do with the high cost of over-the-counter medications and household cleaners.
Please keep in mind that these suggestions are not meant to take the place of a doctor's recommendation or prescription medication.
The Difference Between White Vinegar and Apple Cider Vinegar
White vinegar and apple cider vinegar are both produced by distilling fermented ethanol, creating acetic acids. However, apple cider vinegar is distilled from fermented ethanol solely from apple cider. In general, white vinegar is believed to be more effective in household cleansing and apple cider vinegar is more praised more for it's natural healing effects. Both are used in cooking recipes. They each have high acidity and are antiseptic.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Health Benefits of Vinegar
Vinegar has many curative applications such as the relief of itching and infections. It also can serve in a preventative role related to conditions like high cholesterol and heart disease. Many of the health benefits [recipes] listed below are achieved using Apple Cider Vinegar. I will make a special note for those related to White Vinegar.
An Important Note: Any recipe listed that is an oral rinse or drink, please dilute with water even if water is not included in the description as vinegar is acidic and can cause burns or damage to mouth, throat, and internal tissues.
- Cancer - Vinegar is considered to be connected with the slowing or even elimination of esophageal or bladder cancer [WebMD]
- Cholesterol - According to a 2006 study on rats, cholesterol was suggested to be lowered by ingesting apple cider vinegar [WebMD]
- Diabetes/Blood Sugar Level - A study performed in 2007 found that 2 tablespoons taken a night lowered glucose levels at a rate of 4-6% by morning [WebMD]
- Eczema - Apply white or apple cider vinegar to eczema rash to reduce itching and irritation symptoms.
- Exhaustion - The potassium and enzymes in apple cider vinegar can fight the fatigue created by lactic acid build-up in the body that is caused by exercise or stress. Drink 1 or 2 Tablespoons in juice or water.
- Heart Disease - Oil and vinegar dressings are suggested to lower rate of heart disease by 5-6 times in individuals [WebMD]
- Hiccups - 1 teaspoon mixed with water can potentially stop hiccups because of it's tart taste
- Indigestion - Take 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and one teaspoon of honey and add it to a mug of water. Mix and heat in the microwave. Drink mixture before eating meals containing foods that cause you indigestion.
- Insect Bites or Bee Stings - Apply vinegar to bite/sting to reduce itching and irritation
- Nasal Congestion - Drinking 1 teaspoon can help to stimulate sinus drainage
- Sore Throat - As apple cider vinegar is acidic, it can create a hostile environment for germs in the throat, one in which germs are typically unable to live in. Gargle 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar with 1/4 cup of water every hour
- Stomach Issues - Apple cider vinegar has antibiotic properties. It can help with bacterial infections and intestinal spasms. Mix 1-2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in water or juice and drink.
- Sunburn - Applying white or apple cider vinegar to burns will reduce pain.
- Tooth Whitening and Mouth Health - Gargle and swish apple cider vinegar mixed with water in mouth/throat for a minute. Brush your teeth after the treatment. It will effectively remove stains causing whitening of teeth. It has an antiseptic effect; therefore, it will also cleanse the throat, gums, and mouth.
- Warts - White vinegar applied to a wart is suggested to be a gentle treatment.
- Weight Loss - White vinegar has been linked to increase a feeling of fullness
Is Vinegar Always Healthy?
Do you think vinegar is always safe for consumption?
Risks of Orally Using Apple Cider Vinegar
Please note these risks associated with using apple cider vinegar as a supplement. If you are using it as a rinse or as a drink, make sure it is diluted with water or juice. Additionally, if you are taking medications or have health risks, contact your doctor before using.
- As apple cider vinegar is highly acidic, it can damage internal tissues of the mouth and throat. It can also cause damage to tooth enamel. Make sure you dilute the vinegar and also brush your teeth after use.
- It can lower bone density and potassium levels with prolonged ingestion.
- Apple cider vinegar can interact with medications such as laxatives and diuretics, as well as medications used to treat heart disease and diabetes.
- Insulin levels can be altered, as apple cider vinegar contains chromium.
Household Uses of White Vinegar
White vinegar is frequently used as a household cleaning product. It is known for it's sterilization and antiseptic abilities. Here are a number of uses you may or may not have known.
- Bacteria, Mold, Mildew, and Germs - Mix vinegar in cleaning solution or water and scrub over the surface to reduce these conditions.
- Blinds - Mix equal parts water and vinegar and wipe a moistened rag over blinds.
- Boiled Eggs - Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar to water before boiling the eggs to make them easier to shell and to prevents them from cracking.
- Bugs - Spray vinegar around windows and doors to prevent bugs from entering your home.
- Cigarette Smoke Odor - Place a bowl of either apple cider vinegar or white vinegar in the offending room with the door closed for 24 hours.
- Cleaning [Chrome, stainless steel, silver, silver jewelry] - Chrome and stainless steel: spray and wipe off; Silver and silver jewelry: mix 1/2 cup of vinegar with 2 tablespoons of baking soda. Use a cloth and gently clean using mixture and wipe off with another clean cloth.
- Cleanser [general] - Mix equal parts water and vinegar. Wet cloth and wipe counters, refrigerators, appliances, etc.
- Coffee Maker - Mix equal parts water and vinegar in coffee maker. Brew. Rinse twice with water only.
- Drains [Clogged and Smelly] - Pour a half cup of baking soda into the drain. Pour 1 cup of vinegar on top of the baking soda. When foaming reaction ends, rinse with hot tap water. Let sit for 10 minutes, then rinse with cold water.
- Windshield [Frost Prevention] - Spray 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water on windshield. Repeat every 2 weeks.
- Glass Rings on Furniture - Mix equal parts olive oil and white vinegar. Use a rag to apply and work into the ring. Wipe off with a clean rag.
- Microwave - Use 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water in a bowl and turn on the microwave for about 5 minutes. Wipe out the microwave with equal part water and vinegar. This helps to make cleaning easier and deodorizes the microwave.
- Pen Markings on the Wall - Using full strength white vinegar, wipe markings off the wall with a cloth.
- Computers - Use equal parts water and vinegar. Dip rag in solution and completely squeeze out the rag. Wipe computer with rag.
- Prevent Animals from an Area - Spray vinegar around or on an item or area that you want to discourage pets from climbing or being in, as they do not like the smell of vinegar. If they have an accident in your house, spray it with vinegar [after cleaning the area] to prevent them from returning to the spot.
- Removing Stickers - Soak sticker with vinegar then peel. Repeat as necessary. Use any flat edged item to assist in scraping any leftovers, but remember to add more vinegar.
- Smells - Place a bowl of vinegar anywhere you have odors [room, closet, refrigerator, car, etc.]. Leave the bowl in the area for 24 hours.
- Windshield Wipers - Pour white vinegar on a cloth and use it to wipe off wipers.
Favorite Vinegar Use
What is your favorite use for vinegar?
General Vinegar Use
Vinegar can be used to disinfect just about anything in your home. It can repel bugs indoors, outdoors and in your garden. It can be used on any appliance or item that could have build-up on it from contact with water. It can remove odors from small or big spaces. Vinegar is a healthy and safe product that can be used to clean and sanitize areas without the dangers associated with harsh chemicals and pesticides.