Top Ten Weight Loss Secrets
My Top Ten Tips to Help Lose Weight
Losing weight is HARD. Sacrificing what and how much you eat, trudging through exercise and with little to show for it dampens even the most enthusiastic spirit. Here are my top ten tips to help with weight loss.
1. Chew sugar-free gum - Chewing and tasting the sweet treat may be enough for you to hold off on eating for awhile. I like the Extra Dessert gum that has become popular lately. It gives a "dessert-like" feel for after a meal or in the middle of the afternoon when that sweet craving seems to always hit me.
2. Suck on a sugar-free mint - The same holds true for mints. Personally I like cinnamon flavor mints like Altoids. They are so strong I don't want to put any food in my mouth because it wouldn't taste right.
3. Brush your teeth - An odd tip - but a good one. Brush your teeth after every meal and snack. You may be more reluctant to "spoil" your smile and minty-fresh breath by eating again.
4. Drink 8 ounces of water - Often when we think we're hungry, our bodies are actually thirsty. Try drinking 4-8 ounces of water and waiting a little while before you eat.
5. Take note of EVERY BLT - BLTs are bites, licks and tastes. These can really add up during the day. When I bake, I immediately soak the mixing bowl and spoon in soapy water so I'm not tempted to taste the leftover batter.
6. Drink green tea - Studes show that drinking green tea boosts the metabolism. I make mine with Stevia so there are no calories and it tastes great!
7. Wait 15 minutes - If you feel hungry, make yourself wait at least 15 minutes before eating. Sometimes this is long enough for the feeling to pass.
8. Write down everything you eat - Although I think it's a pain, writing down everything you eat in a "food journal" really does work. Often we don't really realize how much we eat during the day. The journal makes you accountable.
9. Focus on the food - When you eat, only eat. I have a really hard time with this one but it does work. Don't read, watch TV or have any other distractions while eating. Focus on each bite and really chew it. Take your time. It takes 20 minutes for your stomach to realize it's full.
10. Portion size is important - Notice portion sizes for everything and only eat one portion at a time. It is so easy to eat more than you should. Often a small bag of chips is actually two servings!
Following these ten tips to help with weight loss are definitely not a guarantee but they have helped me over the years to slowly lose excess weight.
Do you use any of these tips to help you in your weight loss journey?
- Weight Loss and Weight Watchers
After trying various diets over the years (Cabbage Soup Diet - disgusting, Atkins - too limited, Sugar Busters - better but still too limited, South Beach - but I LOVE bread and pasta and Weight Watchers. I lost weight on all of them but have found t