- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
Causes and Treatments of Armpit Rash
Causes of Underarm Rash
Armpit rash is a skin disorder that is very painful at times, embarrassing, itchy and causes a lot of discomfort to an individual. Armpit rash can also be called underarm rash, it occurs in or around the armpit area and can really be itchy especially when you sweat a lot. It can affect anybody; it affects children and adults of both sexes.
We would be looking at what an armpit rash is, the symptoms, the causes and some possible treatment options for this skin disorder.
An armpit rash can be defined as a skin disorder that causes the skin around the underarm area to change in colour, appearance or texture (Source: Wikipedia). It can be very painful and can cause the skin around the underarm area to swell, itch and change colour.
The symptoms of armpit or underarm rash usually vary a little from one individual to another, thus, what it means is that not all the symptoms may be evident in one particular individual. However, the below are common symptoms of the skin disorder;
- Itch around the Underarm; one of the symptoms that suggest that an individual is having an armpit rash is itch, which occurs around the underarm area.
- Swellings around the Armpit Area; another symptom to look out for when considering the disease are visible swellings around the underarm area.
- Change in Colour of the Underarm Area; the underarm area usually changes its normal colour when an individual has an armpit rash. The usual colour for the armpit area becomes reddish or sometimes pink in appearance.
- Spots around the underarm Area; There are visible spots which are scaly or sometimes filled with pus.
What Causes Underarm Rash?
You have understood what an armpit rash is and the part of the body where it occurs, we have also looked at some possible symptoms that suggest underarm rash. Now let us look at what causes this type of skin disorder. Well, according to research, there are several reasons for a rash to appear on an individual’s armpit, but there are famous reasons for this illness, and these reasons are stated below;
- Contact Dermatitis; this is also referred skin inflammation, were your skin, thus the armpit area reacts to contacts, which may be in the form of chemicals. These chemicals can be found in the detergent you used in washing your clothes, the perfume you applied, deodorant used or the bathing soap you use.
- Shaving; sometimes depending on the type and nature of the razor that you use in shaving your armpit, the area could get infected from an ingrown hair or it could get irritated, due to its tender and delicate nature (Source: Health Grades).
- Sweat; one common cause of underarm rash is sweat. We all do sweat, which is a normal thing, however, sometimes our sweat can get blocked in the duct (a tube in the body where fluid passes) trapping some fluid beneath the skin. This process can lead to rash (Source: Heal Cure).
- Yeast Infection; there are some occasions were yeast infections are responsible for causing underarm rash. Yeast infection is also known as Candida and they often affect parts of the skin were two skin areas touch each other. The armpit is a vulnerable place for yeast infection, due to its nature because infections by Candida germinate in parts of the body which is usually warm and moist (sweaty) (Source: Heal Cure).
- Lactating Women; Women who are pregnant also have a chance of developing armpit rashes, with many women reporting cases of underarm rash (Source: Heal Cure).
The available treatment for this disease depends on the severity and its cause. We have identified some possible measures that can be used to treat the disease, based on the causative factors the following treatment measures can be applied;
Relaxation; sometimes you just need a little rest to reduce the level of stress and fatigue, which according to research, stress can sometimes aggravate the rash in your armpit area. Take some time to relax.
Avoid Scratching; it is best that you try as much as possible to avoid scratching the affected part, which is the armpit area. Sometimes it is difficult to resist scratching, but you just need to make sure you don’t scratch, as scratching can make the simplest of rash a mighty problem for you (Source: Health Line).
Wear loose clothes; the type and nature of the fabric that you put one can cause you to have rash in the armpit, as we discussed earlier in the causes of armpit rash, Candida, an infection which thrives in warm and moist places of the body can lead to armpit rash, hence if you wear loose clothes sufficient air can flow around your armpit area.
Identify the Irritant; we looked at how contact dermatitis or inflammation of the skin can cause rash in the armpit. So what you should do is to identify what chemical causes the irritant or skin inflammation and try to avoid such chemicals from getting into contact with your skin.
Ice Packs; apply ice packs to the affected underarm area as this would reduce the level and intensity of itching around the area (Source: Heal Cure).
Intake of Vitamin C; take in a lot of Vitamin C, as this would boost your immune system and help to fight infections around the area.
Apply Lemon around the Area; the application of lemon around your armpit area would help kill any bacteria around the armpit or underarm area. Application of lemon should be done minutes before taking your bath; this can also serve as a natural deodorant especially for those who have allergies using artificial deodorants. For lemon application, if the rash is has resulted in sore around the underarm, then it is advisable that you do not apply it, because it can be very painful.
Use Baking Soda; apply some baking soda around the affected part, as this would reduce the amount of moist around the area, making your armpit much drier (Source: Heal Cure).
Rashes around the underarm part of your body can be very embarrassing when you have to scratch in public, it can also be painful and very uncomfortable. Sometimes it can become very severe and chronic; you would need to consult a medical doctor for medical assistance.
Are you Suffering from Armpit Rash?
Armpit rash is a skin disorder that leads to itchy or sometimes not itchy swells around the armpit area. It is also called underarm rash. Some of the causes of armpit rash include sweat, heat and yeast infections. Please visit your doctor to seek medical attention when the symptoms become very severe.