- Alternative & Natural Medicine
10 Amazing Health Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric is an ancient spice of India, which was cultivated by Harappan civilization earlier in the 3000 B.C. In the 13th century, Marco Polo, the Italian merchant traveller from Venice, had written about turmeric in his travel. Now it is also grown in other South Eastern countries of Asia. The other names of turmeric are Haldi, Haladi, Haridra, Haldhar, Pitras, Halede, Manjal, yu jin (Chinese), Khamin (Thai), Curcuma (French).The scientific name is Curcuma Longa. L. It has warm bitter taste. This golden spice has several uses.
Turmeric is used in different ways -
a) Used for Health purposes in Ayurveda
b) Used for Culinary purposes
c) Used for Beauty purposes
d) Other purposes
10 Health benefits of Turmeric
The active part in turmeric is curcumin. Many preliminary studies in laboratories indicate that turmeric has great therapeutic uses, although more research are needed for these claims.
1. Liver - Helps in maintaining a healthy liver - A study in Austria and US conducted in 2010 found that curcumin may help in keeping the liver from health issues because of its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
2. Cancer - A study in Ireland conducted in 2009 found that curcumin helped in destroying cancer cells in oeosophageal cancer.
3. Diabetes - A study in Thailand in 2012 found that curcumin may help in lowering the risk of type 2 Diabetes.
4. Alzheimer's disease and dementia - Several studies have been done on curcumin to know its effect on Alzheimer's disease and dementia, including the study in 2008 by an Indian scientist, and found it useful.
5. Depression - A study conducted in 60 volunteers with major depressive disorder found that curcumin was very effective in managing depression.
6. Anthritis - Helpful as an anti-inflammatory agent - Another study on Turmeric found that the anti-inflammatory properties of Turmeric help in managing ulcerative colitis, arthritis, chronic pain and high cholesterol.
7. Skin - Turmeric is used in treating some of the skin problems. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it helps in healing the wounds and cuts and other infections on the skin. Since it is an anti-fungal agent, researchers have found that turmeric is effective in treating fungal infections like Candida.
8. Obesity - Curcumin substance in turmeric is found to be promoting weight loss.
9. Gastrointestinal disorders - Turmeric can help gastrointestinal disorders like ulcerative colitis and IBD.
10. Painkillers - Turmeric can work as painkillers suppressing the pain.
Turmeric uses in Ayurveda
Apart from the above health benefits, Turmeric is used in Ayurveda since ancient days because of its medical benefits. Turmeric is known for its antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antibacterial, stimulative, anti-spasmodic, antibiotic, expectorant, blood purifying, and disinfectant properties.
- For cough, turmeric is a wonderful medicine. Add 1 tsp. turmeric powder to one cup of hot milk and drink for 3-5 days.
- For anemia, taking 1 tsp. of turmeric powder with 1 tsp. of honey taken twice a day for few days helps in reducing anemia.
- For diarrhoea, drinking warm water added with turmeric powder gives good relief.
- Turmeric reduces fevers, diarrhea, urinary disorders, and insanity, poisoning, cough, and lactation problems.
- Also used for epilepsy and bleeding disorder.
- Turmeric is highly beneficial for beautiful skin.
- Turmeric helps in preventing and Treating Alzeheimer's Disease
- Turmeric is also beneficial in preventing age-related problems
- Regular use of turmeric helps in preventing deadly diseases like cancer.
Turmeric for Beauty
From time immemorial turmeric is used for beauty purposes.
- In India, brides will be treated with turmeric to get glowing skin, weeks in advance. The paste, made with turmeric and green gram flour, will be applied on the body and washed after a few minutes.
- To remove the stretch marks of pregnant women, turmeric powder mixed with yogurt is applied and washed after five minutes.
- Pimples and blackheads - A pinch of turmeric powder mixed with one teaspoon of coriander juice is an effective remedy for pimples, blackheads and dry skin.
- It is used for making kumkum, a red powder used by married women in India in their forehead.
Turmeric uses for Culinary
- In India, turmeric is used in almost all curries, which gives a good colour and a unique flavor to the dishes.
- It is also used as a preservative.
Therapeutic uses - Anemia, cancer, diabetes, digestion, food poisoning, gallstones, indigestion, IBS, parasites, poor circulation, staph infections, and wounds. Recent study shows that turmeric can help damaged brain.
Other uses -
- Spiritual ceremonies at home and in the temple, turmeric is used in India.
- Used as a pesticide against ants, insects and termites, by sprinkling the powder at the entry points.
Properties of Turmeric
- Turmeric is rich in dietary fiber, potassium, iron, magnesium and Vitamin B6, and very low in cholesterol and sodium.
- It has properties like immune boosting and anti-oxidant.
- According to Dr. Joseph Mercola, turmeric is“5 to 8 times stronger than vitamin E and stronger than vitamin C, this antioxidant breakthrough may help boost your immunity, maintain normal cholesterol levels, and put the brakes on aging.”
- Other researchers like Jagetia and Aggarwal also reported that turmeric beneficial effects in arthritis, allergy, asthma, atherosclerosis, heart disease, Alzheimer's disease, diabetes, and cancer might be due in part to its ability to modulate the immune system."
- According to a study published in the Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology, Turmeric is also helpful in preventing Alzheimer's Disease.
- Another study conducted by Chandran and Goel at Nirmala Medical Center, Kerala, turmeric is helpful in the treatment of Rheumatoid arthritis, with no adverse effects.
- Another study by the researchers from Cancer Biology Research Center, South Dakota, claim that they found that curcumin treatment suppresses the growth of cervical cancer cells.
Turmeric and its uses - in brief
- Turmeric is an ancient spice used mainly in Indian cuisine. It has got several uses.
- Apart from cooking, it is also used for beauty purpose and therapeutic purpose.
- Turmeric is also used for several home remedies.
- Regular uses of turmeric keeps you away from several health disorders.
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies, supplements or starting a new health regime.
Nutritional Value of Turmeric
Value per 100 grams
- Moisture :13.100 gm
- Protein : 6.300 gm
- Fat : 5.100 gm
- Minerals : 3.500 gm
- Fibre: 2.600 gm
- Carbohydrates: 69.400 gm
- Energy: 349.000 K cal
- Calcium: 150.000 mg
- Phosphorus: 282.000 mg
- Iron: 67.800 mg
How turmeric powder capsules are made
Where to buy turmeric capsule online
I like these capsules because they are non-GMO, Gluten Free, and easy to order. The quality is also assured by the manufacturer.
Sources - References
- Turmeric Powder - Health Benefits, Uses & Side Effects
With therapeutic properties ranging from boosting immunity to being anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, turmeric is no wonder the spice king.
- Turmeric Benefits | Home Remedies by SpeedyRemedies
Turmeric benefits in healing skin infections, burns, wounds, dental problems, common cold, cough, stomach ailments, anemia, arthritis, jaundice, and several
- Curcumin as a promising anticandidal of clinical interest. - PubMed - NCBI
Can J Microbiol. 2011 Mar;57(3):204-10. doi: 10.1139/W10-117. Comparative Study; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
- Benefits of Turmeric Powder | LIVESTRONG.COM
Turmeric, or Curcuma longa, belongs to the ginger family and naturally occurs in Southern Asia and India. Turmeric supplements come from the plant's...
Turmeric a yellow indian spice belongs to ginger family Zingiberaceae. Turmeric powder is used in food, Ayurvedic, medicinal, cosmetic, coloring, dyeing as well as turmeric spice is to treat diseases like cancer.
- 12 Turmeric Benefits that Beat Medications + Turmeric Recipes - Dr. Axe
Of the 10,000+ studies referencing curcumin, turmeric benefits equal many pharmaceutical medications — and in some cases, surpass them. Click to learn more.
- TURMERIC: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD
Find patient medical information for TURMERIC on WebMD including its uses, effectiveness, side effects and safety, interactions, user ratings and products that have it.
- Turmeric: Health benefits, uses, & side-effects
Britain's favourite dish, chicken tikka masala, could be good for your health thanks to a key ingredient: turmeric