Benefits of Citronella - Where to Buy Lemongrass Oil
Searching for where to buy lemongrass oil, you can BUY 100% Pure Lemongrass Essential Oil plus Aromatherapy Candles here
In Chinese Medicine, citronella oil or lemongrass oil has been widely used for treatment of severe rheumatic pain and to ease off arthritic troubles. Chinese medicine has also acknowledged this herbal grass oil for its activating properties of both physical and mental aspects. Moreover, lemongrass oil or citronella oil provides an interesting flavor to many Chinese recipes and dishes. It is a prominent natural medicine in the long list of Chinese herbs. It is interesting to note that citronella is also known as lemongrass and as its name implies it has a slightly sweet and lemony flavor. Besides being lemony and sweet, there are many other beneficial powers and excellent medicinal benefits of this natural herb citronella. The already famous lemongrass oil or citronella essential oil is made up out of its leaves and stems. Botanically, citronella is known as Cymbopogon nardus and its origination is from tropical Asia. This slightly sweet and lemony lemongrass oil was generally recognized as an insect repellant, but due to its valuable benefits to mental and physical health for people, it has become their favorite. Lemongrass or citronella is a plant of the grass family and is a perennial grass that is hard and tall. This grass is lime green in color and is almost 1 to 1-1/2 meter high. Lemongrass has elongated leaves and flowers in their natural state.
History and Symbolism of Citronella Oil or Lemongrass Essential Oil
Lemongrass is originally from Sri Lanka and it became popular all over the world in the 19th century. The lemongrass oil was known as Oleum Siree when it was exported for the first time to Europe. Sri Lanka was the main center of lemongrass oil production until 1890 when Java started production of this oil of better quality. In 1900s, lemongrass oil that was exported to other countries contained more of geraniol (natural alcohol) and had much stronger smell, but then the lemongrass oil was adulterated and Sri Lanka has to reduce its price. Use of lemongrass oil in wax candles has been very common because it repels insects and mosquitoes. Citronella oil is largely used in soaps, perfumes, skin lotions, detergents, deodorants, cosmetic products and also paints.
Origin and distribution of Citronella
Citronella or lemongrass is primarily grown in Java and Sri Lanka as mentioned above, but nowadays it is also found in Madagascar, Burma, South America, and Guatemala.
Extraction of Lemongrass Essential Oil:
Citronella essential oil is extracted through distillation of dry grass in preference to fresh grass as the latter requires too much fuel and its aroma is less pleasant.
11 Benefits of Lemongrass or Citronella Oil
- Citronella oil is used by various Natural Medicine groups namely Chinese Medicine, Western Herbal Medicine and Indian Ayurvedic Medicine to treat many types of infections and fever.
- Recent studies have confirmed anti-depression properties of citronella oil.
- Citronella oil helps in fighting tiredness and fatigue.
- Lemongrass oil is good for clarifying and enlivening the mind removing headaches, neuralgias, and migraines.
- Citronella oil helps in calming down depression and anxiety.
- Also citronella or lemongrass oil contains antiseptic, antibacterial, and deodorant properties.
- Citronella oil is also used widely as an anti-moth insecticide and parasiticide.
- Citronella oil or lemongrass essential oil has also been found effective in regulating excessive sweating as well as skin and body fat.
- This wonder oil works as a general body tonic which not only balances the heart and circulation system but also stimulates the nervous system.
- Lemongrass oil is beneficial during periods of convalescence to recover the spirit and balance.
This oil helps in alleviation of gastrointestinal complaints including stomach cramps, indigestion, acidity, etc.