How To Choose A Quality Nutritional Supplement
How Do You Choose Supplements?
What should we look for when we choose a supplement? Are they all the same? Do we buy because there is a discount or a special promotion of buy one free one?
We are bombarded by so many brands and types of vitamins that sometimes it is hard to make the right choice. Lyle McWilliams suggest a more scientific approach when we choose a supplement in his book Comparative Guide to Nutritional Supplements.
Comparative Guide To Nutritional Supplements
An independent third party review of 1500 vitamin supplements
Discover recent scientific evidence showing that supplements can optimize health and slow down the aging process. Choose a supplement that is best for you and your family using a scientifically-based approach.
The individual recommendations for daily nutrient intakes from 12 independent nutritional experts are pooled together to construct The Blended Standard. It is the yardstick by which every product is compared.
More than 1500 US and Canadian supplements are scientifically rated and compared against this Blended Standard.
Comparative Guide To Choose Nutritional Supplements
About The Author, Lyle MacWilliam
In 1988, author, educator and bio-chemist Lyle MacWilliam, MSc, FP, began a search for a vitamin and mineral supplement for his family. A year later, the first Guide To Nutritional Supplements was produced. Currently it is in its 4th edition. His early scientific training led him to the leading edge of research into the biological properties of antioxidants. His scientific investigations focused on the damage caused by radiation to heart cells and the effects of exercise and dietary supplementation with Vitamin E.
Mr MacWillliam is a former Canadian Member of Parliament and served at the behest of Canada's Minister of Health to help develop the framework which led to the current Natural Health Product Directorate and regulations, which allows consumers far more choice in their health care products.
Courtesy of NutriSearch.ca
Does The Vitamin Have These 18 Health Support Criteria?
Consider these factors when you choose a supplement
1. Completeness - Does the multivitamin contain the full range of micronutrients required for optimal health? The body requires about 17 vitamins,at least 14 trace elements and minerals and different plant-based antioxidants.
2. Potency - How much of each nutrient compared to the Blended Standard?
3. Mineral Forms - Is it in the chelated form easily absorbed by the body?
4. Vitamin E natural or synthetic - The synthetic form is only half as effective as the natural form.
5. Gamma form of Vitamin E - Does it contain gamma-tocopherol , a type of Vitamin E? It is better in reducing chronic inflammation.
6. Antioxidant Support - Does it contain the antioxidants to repair cellular damage- Vitamin C, Vitamin E, beta carotene,alpha-lipoic acid, lycopene, coenzyme Q10 and selenium
7. Bone Health - Healthy bones require at least 24 bone-building materials including calcium, magnesium, Vitamin D,silicon, zinc.
8. Heart Health - Does it have vitamins to help the heart - Vitamin E, beta carotene, coenyme Q10, phenolic compounds
9. Detoxification - Does it have nutrients to help the liver detoxify - Vitamin C, cysteine, selenium, Vitamin Bs
10. Glucose Control - Does it have nutrients to keep body system responsive to insulin- Vitamin Bs, chromium, manganese, zinc, Vitamin C, Vitamin E?
11. Eye Health - Prevention of cataracts and macular degeneration require Vitamin C, Vitamin E, beta. carotene, carotenoids, lutein, zeaxanthin.
12. Control homocysteine - High homocysteine levels lead to heart disease. Deficiencies in certain Vitamin B-complex results in high levels of homocysteine.
13. Removal of fat soluble toxins - Inositol and choline assist the liver to remove fat-soluble toxins like pesticides and heavy metals such as lead.
14. Control Inflammation - Chronic inflammation can lead to heart disease, cancer, arthritis. Does it contain gammatocopherol, Vitamin C, flavonoids?
15. Slow the process of aging - Excessive oxidative stress is a sign of the aging process. Does it contain Vitamin C, Vitamin E, alpha lipoic acid that help to slow done the progression of diseases like Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, cancer?
16. Bioflavonoids - Flavonoids help the body to react to allergens, viruses and carcinogens. Found in the pulp of many fruits and vegetables. Does the product have a mixture of citrus flavonoids, quercetin, rutin?
17. Phenolic Compounds - The have potent anti-inflammatory, anti-viral,anti-bacterial, anti-allergic anti-hemorrhagic and immuno-enhancing properties- turmeric, olive, green tea
18. Toxic Compounds - The product should not contain iron and Vitamin A. Both of these can become toxic when taken in high doses over a long period of time.
Find Out Which Multivitamin Supplement Ranks The Best!
Essentials - "Best Of the Best" Among 1500 North American Products
A combo pack of Mega Antioxidant and Chelated Mineral
Daily stress and environmental pollutants bombard us with increasing levels of potentially damaging, highly reactive molecules called free radicals. Our daily diets of high processed foods and low in whole, unrefined foods have increased our need for vitamin and antioxidant supplementation.
The Mega Antioxidant and Chelated Mineral are designed to give maximum benefit when taken together. The Mega Antioxidant offers advanced levels of high quality and highly available vitamins and antioxidants. The Chelated Mineral supplement is a carefully formulated balance of essential minerals and ultra trace minerals in forms readily absorbed by the body.
For more info contact me