How To Stop Fingernail Biting (Onychophagia)
How To Stop Fingernail Biting
I bet you've heard that a million times, 'Stop biting your nails!" but how to stop fingernail biting as you chew down on the remaining bloody, bitty nail stumps that you haven't yet managed to gnaw away. You feel embarrassed, ashamed and hide your nails from view, disgusted by your habit. However, you must admit that the act of nail biting itself is very satisfying, even pleasurable, and this is one of the reasons it is so hard to stop. Worry no more, help is at hand as we consider why we bite our nails, and what we can do to remedy this condition. Nail biting is one of the most common nervous afflictions, but this distressing habit can lead to a variety of nail and oral infections. With a little effort (okay, maybe a tad more than a little), beautiful, manicured nails can be yours.
Help For Nail Biters
Why Do We Bite?
We tend to bite our nails to relieve stress and/or emotional upset. Many people struggle with this nervous habit, as nail biting is something that we do without being aware, until its too late, and the damage is done. Everyday pressures such as exams, interviews, financial worries, relationship problems, childcare, in fact anything we consider stressful can trigger nail biting. It takes the focus off the problem at hand, and it can have a calm, soothing effect. Nail biting is generally under diagnosed as sufferers tend to not realise the seriousness of the condition, and the negative consequences that can ensue. Nail biting can lead to serious infections such as paronychia, which is an infection of the skin that over hangs the side of the nail. Paronychia is the most common hand infection in the United States.
Help And Advice On Finger Nail Biting
Nail Biting Remedies - Nail Biting Cures And Treatments
As nail biting starts without us even being aware of what we are doing, it would be nice if we could stop it in the same manner. However, seeing that this is unlikely to happen, here are a few quirky ways of dealing with this pesky habit.
1. Rub chilli peppers on fingers. Hmmm....
2. Wear gloves (that'll work).
3. Will power (see 2 above)
4. Fiddle with something, What? I'll leave that up to you.
5. Carry on biting?
Some further reading that may help you:
Ten Tips For Top Nails
1. Get a manicure. This is my best tip to help you stop immediately, as you will be less inclined to ruin pretty looking nails.
2. Take photos of your bloody, sore, chewed nails. Make them as large as possible and put them on your bedroom walls, and anywhere else you can, where you will see them daily.
3. Try rubbing garlic or bitter aloes over your nails. This might not appeal to all, but believe me, you won't want to chew on garlic nails all day.
4. Try stopping one nail at a time. Start with the nail that is your least favorite to chew.
5. Take a look at your diet. Are you eating properly, or do you follow a restricted diet. You may be lacking vitamins and minerals, in particular calcium.
6. Reward yourself for small achievements. If you go twenty four hours without biting your nails, treat yourself.
7. Make it a competition. If you know another nailbiter, challenge each other as to who can last longer without biting.
8. Tell friends and family to remind you when you bite subconsciously.
9. Upload pictures of diseased nails to your mobile phone screensave. Every time you look at your phone you'll have a reminder.
10. Try hypnosis, it just might work.
Rate these helpful products, or add your own recommendations