jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is a VSD (Vascular Septal Defect)?

1. wannabwestern profile image88
    wannabwesternposted 7 years ago

What is a VSD (Vascular Septal Defect)?

Our infant son was diagnosed with a vascular septal defect. We are told this is a common heart condition, that it will likely heal on its own, and that it can be repaired relatively easily. Could you write a hub explaining this heart condition with information about common treatments and possible complications?

2. profile image0
    ankigarg87posted 7 years ago

A ventricular septal defect is a heart malformation present at birth.A ventricular septal defect is a defect in the ventricular septum, the wall dividing the left and right ventricles of the heart.

3. RNMSN profile image90
    RNMSNposted 7 years ago

I had to reseach this one wannabwestern! Long time since peds for me/I took what I thought was the most important and least technical and wrote it up.  hope it gives you someting you havent heard and that will ease your mind on it a bit as well.love to you, barbara b

4. bryanps profile image68
    bryanpsposted 6 years ago

hey there, i think its most likely, Ventricular Septal Defect. It is by far one of the most common congenital heart conditions affecting young kids. And yes as ankigarg87 mentioned, it is a defect between the left ventricles and right ventricles, allowing blood to flow from the left ventricle to the right ventricle. Usually, your child won't present with symptoms at birth until a few weeks after that.

Fortunately most VSDs are small and close up by itself. There are some large VSDs that will need surgical repair otherwise later on in life, it will cause heart and lung problems.

working