jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Can a person be their authentic self if they alter their appearance with botox,

1. soozeqsh profile image81
    soozeqshposted 7 years ago

Can a person be their authentic self if they alter their appearance with botox, a facelift, etc?

For example, Jane Fonda has admittedly had some major work done on her face.  Is it appealing to look 40,50 or 60 when you are in your 70's?  Ali MacGraw, on the other hand has not altered her appearance.  What do you think?

2. T.Y._Hudson profile image59
    T.Y._Hudsonposted 7 years ago

It is said that we put on a mask each time we walk out the front door. The face we know as our own, is way different than the one we show to the rest of the world. I would classify plastic surgery in the same category as weight loss. And it isn't far off from wearing make up or a certain type of clothes, to appear more professional, or gothic, or anything like that.
    I think it will change you at least a little. More self confidence, self esteem, are just a few of the changes. If you make changes, most likely, they are in the direction of becoming the person you want to be. Meaning, that you will be different than who you are if these changes take place.

3. smelloftruth profile image59
    smelloftruthposted 7 years ago

He/she still can be, internally speaking. For example, one actress is too conscious about her face and asked for a surgical makeover. Later on in life she become contented and forget she did actually changed herself physically. Human change from time to time.

4. Scribenet profile image86
    Scribenetposted 7 years ago

If you have an ugly scar and have it fixed, you do not stop being authentic;same with plastic surgery. It is "just" a procedure.

I haven't seen Ali MacGraw's picture lately so I can't comment, but Jane looks great...and  whether that makes her inauthentic...I don't think so; if she is inauthentic, the surgery has little to do with it...that comes from "within".

That said, when it is done to excess and it looks like one is an alien...well then there might be a problem...LOL. We all put make-up on, but it is only when it is excessive people start to take notice that it looks odd and out of place!

5. suzetteboston profile image57
    suzettebostonposted 7 years ago

Yes, it is not your face that defines the authentic self, I believe it is the spirit and the soul.

6. Pauladance.co.uk profile image61
    Pauladance.co.ukposted 7 years ago

Perhaps they can BECOME their authentic self - if they had been disfigured, or had some element of ugliness.  The ugliest person may have a beautiful nature - and sadly, the most lovely or handsome person can be evil!
    Maybe everyone should do the very best for themselves, no-one is perfect, and  having 'treatments' prove that the person concerned is not particularly proud of themseves, or vain.  Looking more appealing can give them self-confidence.  After all, you are on the inside and don't have to see yourselves unless you look;  other people have to look at you!  Perhaps it's right to make the very best of yourself.  Regarding age, we live in a 'youth' orientated world - pitifully!  If your livelihood depends on looking young -  perhaps there is not much choice!

7. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 7 years ago

No, they are just plastic; reserve the procedure for repairing accident damage.
    Good for Ali, grow old gracefully, don't try to cling to what is gone, that way lays stagnation.

working