jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How can I control my anxiety when Im in the waiting room of a DENTIST?

1. mariale2003 profile image59
    mariale2003posted 6 years ago

How can I control my anxiety when Im in the waiting room of a DENTIST?

2. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

I know that feeling.  The best thing I've found is to do something to distract myself.  I'll listen to music, read magazines and do email on my phone. 

Once I'm sitting in the dentist chair, that's when it's really tough.  I consciously think to relax and start in my toes and work up to my head by paying attention to each muscle and releasing the tension.  I do it over and over until I'm done.

3. Daffy Duck profile image61
    Daffy Duckposted 6 years ago

Alcohol works for me.   :-)

4. cosmetic dentists profile image61
    cosmetic dentistsposted 6 years ago

Take time out to fin a dentist who actually cares and who will take time to ensure you feel comfortable. Many dentists now recognise dental phobia for the problem it is, but you need to make sure you find a dentist who actually caters for your needs. Dentists should take time out to discuss what is happening, and many of them now offer sedation if your anxiousness is too much to handle. When your in the chair some dentists even give the patient a button they can press so that it turns off the machine and they can regain their composure. hope you get the treatment you need!

5. thedentists profile image61
    thedentistsposted 5 years ago

The easiest thing to do is to close your eyes and just recite a mantra like 'relax'. Recite the mantra to the rhythm of your breath while you inhale and exhale. If you do this for a few minutes, you should start feeling your anxiety melting away. Even while you are in the dentist's chair you can continue this if you feel it will help.

working