jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What personal coping skills do you use to battle depressive episodes?

1. dkanofsky profile image55
    dkanofskyposted 6 years ago

What personal coping skills do you use to battle depressive episodes?

2. RockerGinger profile image86
    RockerGingerposted 6 years ago

For depressive episodes, I take medication. But before I was prescribed meds, I did the following:
    Write a journal - to get all the thoughts out on paper, of why I'm sad and what/who's bringing me down.
    Make a snack - sometimes a little comfort food is all you need to lift the moods a bit. I suggest dark chocolate: not only is it good for you, but chocolate raises the seratonin levels inthe brain, which make you happier.
    Listen to happier music - I suggest Mr. Blue Sky smile
    Watch a movie that can make you smile no matter what - For me, it's always always ALWAYS Sound of Music. Julie Andrew's voice takes me places smile

I hope this was helpful to you, and I hope that, if you do suffer with depression, that it improves in time. God bless.

3. Misty_lake profile image57
    Misty_lakeposted 6 years ago

I talk a lot. I have two people that regurally listen to me complain about my life at large and three threapists. Along with that I have two cats who provide comfort and stimulation. One of them is pretty much a carpet cat so he's easy to catch and hug when needed.
    I also distract myself as much as possible. I'm someone who thrives off of responsibility so I tend to sign up for things that have to be done by certain dates so I have to work on them. I'm also concidering getting a service dog to help me with some of the episodes.

4. profile image46
    eawhiteposted 6 years ago

The best thing to do is to get your endorphins going. Exercise, laughing, hanging out with friends, etc. are all good ideas. Look at it this way:
    If you don't want to go out, you do it anyway.
    If you are afraid to try something new, find a way to talk yourself into it. (Enlisting friends to do x thing with you may help.)
    Be around happy people and try to take in some of their positive energy. This is why having hobbies, etc. is a good thing.

A special note: If you are depressed enough to wonder if you should go to a doctor, then go to one. You don't have to be on medication for the rest of your life--a little help for now might do just fine. But DO NOT self-medicate. That is dangerous. (Self-medicating includes changing your own prescription doses and using alcohol, drugs, etc. to take away your depression. These are all highly dangerous practices.)

5. profile image0
    jasper420posted 6 years ago

I myself like to write in my jurnal listen to music and reflect on what Im thankfull for I try to tell myself this is just a phase and it will get better I do not ignore my feelings or try to cover them up because this creates dependence instead I examan what im feeling and use it to learn about myself and my illness