jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What's the worst habit you've ever broken, and how did you manage it?

1. pbsandwichofdoom profile image96
    pbsandwichofdoomposted 6 years ago

What's the worst habit you've ever broken, and how did you manage it?

2. Jlbowden profile image90
    Jlbowdenposted 6 years ago

Hello:

I think the worse habit that I ever broke, was smoking cigarettes. It was tough to kick this habit, that I gave up over 25 years ago. Thinking hard about that if I didn't give up this terrible habit, it would eventually destroy either my heart or lungs-or both. And constantly thinking about this over and over in my mind, convinced me that, if I did not give it up, I would not live to see all the great things that this world has to offer. Hope this answered your question. 

Jl

3. profile image0
    jasper420posted 6 years ago

cutting myself I went to meetings and worked the twelve steps

4. lydocia profile image59
    lydociaposted 6 years ago

I never had any "bad habits" that needed breaking; I never smoked, I do not drink that much, I do not go out that often, I try to do my best.

However, I used to be more jealous in relationships than I am now. Granted, I blame my trust issues on broken relationships, but that does not mean that old demons should haunt new relationships. I learned to trust, I learned not to be jealous and I learned to be easier-going.

5. regina s profile image58
    regina sposted 6 years ago

Quitting Smoking!!!!  No good comes from cigarette smoking...but boy is it fun...and deadly!  I smoked for 6 years...about a pack a day...I smoked when I was healthy, when I was sick, when I was happy, sad, you name it...it was a good reason (in my head) to smoke! 

One day (this last mother's day as a matter of fact) I finished my shift at work (I'm a food server) and thought...I'm out of cigs...better go by the store on the way home...but my throat was hurting, I was getting sick...but I still wanted a cgg!  I knew it would make me sick and feel worse but I didn't want to face nicotine withdrawls...so I decided to buy some nicotine gum.   I bought the generic gum, 2mg of nicotine...(boy is it expensive!) and started that night.

I was sure I would hate the gum and go back to smoking...but I liked the gum and it worked!  i haven't had a cigg yet.  But...when I say I liked the gum...I mean...I REALLY LIKED THE GUM!  Too much!  After about two months of gum chewing I just stopped cold turkey.  I realized that I would not be able to cut down on the gum and just needed to stop ingesting nicotine.

Now I am nicotine free!  I feel great, but I have to use many coping mechanisms to continue to be smoke free.  Being 40 and on the birth control pill, smoking cigarettes is a great way to have a heart attack, so that stops me, ...I love being able to breathe again, and not wheezing and coughing like a drunken sailor every morning noon and night is great!  I chew a lot of gum (non-nicotine), chew a lot of gummy bears, and try to find things to occupy my time that don't remind me of smoking!

6. profile image0
    lostwithinmyselfposted 6 years ago

Smoking was one of many bad habits. I smoked from the age of 12 and quitting was hard work but i always seem to find it easy while pregnant and did't smoke through any of my pregnancies but always started again giving birth. Its been 10 months since i quit and i had help this time by going to my chemist and i had patches and oral tablets which helped so much. Fingers crossed this habit will stick for the rest of my life eh! x

working