jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Will my body adjust to the calories burned by daily walks?

1. Steve Orion profile image78
    Steve Orionposted 6 years ago

Will my body adjust to the calories burned by daily walks?

I've walked about 1 hour to 90 minutes a day for months. I noticed my weight loss decreasing as the months went on. Is this my body getting used to the workout? How should I mix it up?

2. Ruchi Urvashi profile image76
    Ruchi Urvashiposted 6 years ago

Yes, after you walk daily for months, you body loses weight initially and then it reaches equilibrium. After this, it can be your ideal weight and you just need to maintain it.
    And if you want to lose more, you need to bring some another improvement in addition to this. It can be eating healthy food or doing some sports or exercise.

3. profile image0
    ChuckGposted 6 years ago

The muscles get bored with the same workout, so you do plateau in how much weight you will lose in a brisk walk. Ride a bike, got to aerobics class, try the elliptical machines, anything that you can incorporate into your weekly workout and sweat it out. Remember, energy in/energy out principle. Burn what you eat that day in calories and the rest of your workout will burn off the remaining fat. Good luck.

4. Larry Fields profile image79
    Larry Fieldsposted 2 years ago

Hello, Steve. Ruchi makes a good point about equilibrium. However there are a couple of things I'd like to add.

Bathroom scales do not tell the whole story. Not even the better electronic ones. How so?

When you exercise large muscles, like the butt muscles, the lean muscle mass increases a bit, while the fat content of that muscle decreases a bit. The fact that you look the same, and weigh approximately the same, is irrelevant for your health.

The next time you're in the supermarket, check out the meat aisle. Some cuts of beef are leaner and redder. Other cuts are well 'marbled' with fatty streaks. Without regular walking, your butt muscles would be more marbled.
    With slightly less body fat, your insulin receptor sensitivity increases a bit. (Generic aerobic work has the same effect.) This means that you are a bit healthier than you'd be without regular walking.

Walking on level ground does not do a lot for your quadriceps muscles, in the upper front thighs. I wrote a hub about Gorilla Walking, an exercise of my own invention, which isolates the quads, in addition to providing moderate aerobic work. You could do GW one day, and regular walking the next.

Gorilla Walking is best done indoors. For that reason, it's the best option for rainy days.

working