Should my grandmother choose to dialysis? Will dialysis get her more time to liv

1. michellegodbless5 profile image55
    michellegodbless5posted 6 years ago

Should my grandmother choose to dialysis? Will dialysis get her more time to live?

how does dialysis help a person if their kidneys are only working 9 percent. how quick does it change the process of damage done.
    I dont know if I should tell her to do it or not to do it.

2. rclinton5280 profile image77
    rclinton5280posted 6 years ago

The simple answer is yes. Dialysis will prolong her time on earth. I am not aware of any recovery when it comes to patients of dialysis. To my understanding,  it only offers the body the ability to release toxins from the blood, which is normally the function of the kidney. I have seen people who live for years on dialysis. In comparison, I have never heard of any one living very long with 9% kidney function. Unless there is some reason unknown to me for not doing so, I would suggest getting her to go. Scientifically, it is the right answer. The emotional, spiritual, and psychological side of this are up to you and your family. I wish you both well.

3. tamlee21 profile image61
    tamlee21posted 6 years ago

In most cases, dialysis does not improve kidney function.  It does remove toxins and waste products from the blood.  A person with normal kidney function does this as the kidneys produce urine.  Dialysis is a commitment with 2-3 sessions a week, up to 5 hours a session.

working