Beningn clacifications(fibroadenoma)

1. profile image48
    Sahithi Kondabalaposted 6 years ago

Beningn clacifications(fibroadenoma)

hello my recent mamogram reports show small benign calcifications (fibroadenoma)with no lymph nodes and no breast radiologist told there is no problem?what care should I take about these changes?what should I do........are they any chances of cancer????

2. nextchapter profile image76
    nextchapterposted 6 years ago

"Benign" by definition, means "not cancer".  Breast calcifications are fairly common; however, that doesn't mean that it's not scary for YOU when a radiologist tells you that "something" has shown up on your mammogram.  On your next mammogram, they should be comparing the new images, to the previous ones, to look for any changes that might be of concern.  Depending on the appearance of the calcifications, they may suggest that you have your next mammogram sooner (e.g. 6 months instead of a year), just to make sure that there are not rapid changes.  A good radiologist has lots of experience with calcifications, and is usually quite pro-active in identifying anything that needs further investigation.  You should also speak with your primary care doctor, or with your ob/gyn, to discuss the results (make sure that the radiology report has been sent to those doctor(s).)  That should give you a second opinion, to provide reassurance -- and, as a matter of record, that report should be with your physician anyway.