jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What Are the Most Important Decisions to Make Before Moving to an Assisted Livin

1. J.S.Matthew profile image83
    J.S.Matthewposted 6 years ago

What Are the Most Important Decisions to Make Before Moving to an Assisted Living Facility?

2. profile image0
    Sunnie Dayposted 6 years ago

Oh my I just went through this with my parents. Do not ever make an emotional decision..my mom got sick..it scared my dad as he had a stroke a few years ago and mom is his caretaker although he does really well he is wheelchair bound. They moved and was there three months.. Mom got better, they missed their home and moved back home. Their house did not sell thankfully. Just think about the whole situation and what if's.

3. alphagirl profile image80
    alphagirlposted 6 years ago

Find a place that culturally can accomodate your cultural differences. many asians prefer a place where they can speak their native tongue. There is so much to be said about words that do not translate from english to chinese or whatever your language is. There is a certain understanding of how to communicate to an elderly person.The bedside manners of a nurse or hospital aid makes a big difference.
    You feel better understood and when administering meds to an elderly patient you can joke and make references to patient that is not so funny in elnglish but can be funny in native tongue.
    Cost, cost and cost. Location, location. It has to be nearer to your home and job if you have a kids and family.But is especially important when you have an emergency.
    I would check the backgrounds with BBB to make sure the place has no legal problems filed against how they treat patients. Then look at the doctors who are affiliated and make sure thy have a clean record. I would also check to see if anyone has died in the care of the facility.

Good luck!

4. AssistedLivingEve profile image61
    AssistedLivingEveposted 6 years ago

Start with location, you want or your loved ones will want to be in an area that they like or is convenient. The second point would be culture and the facility itself. Plan to take a tour of any assisted living facility. Seeing it first hand is a great way to pick a facility that will be most comfortable and you need to trust the caregivers at the home you choose.
    I hate to say it, but cost can also be an important factor. The facility needs to provide the required care, but if it in unaffordable it can lead to consequences later, including financial fallout or having to relocate.

The most important thing is to plan ahead. When you are not in a rush to make a decision, you can find an assisted living facility that meets everyone's needs.