jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Organ Donation - Why should we - Why not?

1. Pearldiver profile image80
    Pearldiverposted 5 years ago

Organ Donation - Why should we - Why not?

What are the factors that you considered when making that decision?

2. wkhigley profile image61
    wkhigleyposted 5 years ago

Once I'm dead, people may as well get some use out of what would otherwise just rot. I don't see any significant downside.  Of course, donating things while still alive, like a kidney, would be a much more difficult decision since it actually introduces risk and has an effect on the donor.

Hopefully, continued research will make growing individual organs a cost effective, viable alternative.

3. teyeger82 profile image76
    teyeger82posted 5 years ago

I agree with wkhigley.  When I am gone, if there is anything that could keep somebody else going, I would be more than happy to make that possible.  Families lose a child or a child loses a parent at times simply because there is no organ donor.  If my organ will work, why not?  I certainly won't be able to use it at that point.

As for donating while still alive, that is a harder decision.  I would definitely donate for one of my children if needed and if I was a match.  I have read of people donating a kidney to people that are not family members or loved ones and all I can say is that is one of the most unselfish acts I have ever heard of.

4. Catzgendron profile image73
    Catzgendronposted 5 years ago

By donating Marty's organs was a way to begin my healing process. Though he lost his life he gave others a chance to go on. read more

5. Davesworld profile image60
    Davesworldposted 5 years ago

Donate your organs after death - it's painless.

6. fadetheglitter profile image61
    fadetheglitterposted 5 years ago

Definitely donate!  While it is hard for those who are left behind, it is best to have your good stuff used ;-)

7. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

another good question.  donors should really have a discussion well in advance with loved ones about their wishes as well.  if a family member is faced with the decision to donate at the onset of shock of loss, and without the discussion taking place prior, the decision to donate will be extremely difficult to make and the donation may not take place.  The decision  to donate has to be made very, very quickly. 

If the discussion has already taken place, the seeds will have already been planted; the memory of the decision/wishes should come forward quickly to the family member (in shock and left with the responsibility to decide), thereby allowing the family member to make a quick decision in favour of donation.   

The deceased may have left a written wish to donate, however that information may not be readily available at the time of death.  Thus, the decision is left up to the family member who is in shock. 

I'm speaking from experience.  hope the above makes sense....

working