What are your thoughts on depression following birth being unrelated to PND?

1. WryLilt profile image91
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

What are your thoughts on depression following birth being unrelated to PND?

Nine months after my first daughter was born, I experienced depression, which was diagnosed as PND. I strongly believe it was reactive depression (due to life circumstances at the time). Do you think doctor's should stop using PND as a blanket diagnosis in the two years following birth?

2. vrbmft profile image79
    vrbmftposted 6 years ago

We complicate depression.  Depression is simple.  It may not be simple to experience and to move through, ;but depression as a "condition," is simple.  There is no need to get into whether or not it is a clinical depression (whatever in the heck that means) or whether or not one has a chemical imbalance.  Every moment of our life is a chemical imbalance.

Depression comes after a loss.  We are not familiar with loss in our society.  We tend to discount losses as NOT losses.  Giving birth is the most obvious event in your life that may entail any number of losses.  That is not to say that there may be other losses that all come together at this moment in your life because you haven't grieved those losses.

Giving birth entails numerous losses.  In a sense, you lose the baby to start with.  Often the baby gets lots of attention and support, but there is no one there to support you and ;you may say, Oh I have all kinds of support, but is it really the support that you need to change your entire life from what it was to adding perhaps yet another child into your family.  You start out with a man and a woman with one relationship. ; When you add one child, that simple relationship shifts to now nine relationships, and when you add yet another, it jumps up to about thirty some and on and on. 

Your relationships with everyone else in your life can also change dramatically including the relationship with your hubby and that can be a HUGE LOSS.  Anywho a few thoughts from me.  THANKS FOR ASKING THE INTERESTING QUESTION

working