jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Does diabetic neuropathy lead to amputation?

1. nina64 profile image81
    nina64posted 5 years ago

Does diabetic neuropathy lead to amputation?

I have this numb feeling on the side of my left thigh, just above the knee. It sometimes feels as if someone is sticking pins and needles in me. It is not painful, but I just feel the tingling sensation from time to time. I'm wondering if it is because there is no blood circulation in that part of my body. Any thoughts or suggestions.

2. profile image0
    kelleywardposted 5 years ago

It can if you don't monitor and control your blood sugar.

nina64posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate your answer. Thank you so much.

3. Catherine Kane profile image82
    Catherine Kaneposted 5 years ago

It doesn't have to.

My husband has had diabetes for over 10 years  and addressed it with medication and diet.

At his most recent physical, his new dr was amazed to find that, not only had his diabetes not progressed, but also, the diabetic neuropathy he had had in his feet was receding.

His dr pronounced him "Perfect!"

I'm so happy that your husband is doing well. Be blessed.

4. profile image0
    FutureDrKateposted 5 years ago

Diabetic neuropathy is caused by poorly controlled blood sugar because the sugar damages the nerves.  Sometimes when you're not feeling things as well in your legs,  you can injure them during everyday activities such as walking without noticing.  Even sleeping puts pressure on your heels and most people feel that and change position, but people with diabetic neuropathy may not.  These injuries then don't heal as well because of the high sugars.  In severe cases, this can lead to amputation.  The best thing you can do is stay on top of your diabetes and make sure to look at your legs and especially feet to catch any sores early and get them treated.

Hello FutureDrKate, thank you so much for answering my question. I have been closely watching my blood sugar & I'm careful not sustain any type of injuries. Again, thanks for your answers.

working