jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What causes skin cancer?

1. gracenotes profile image91
    gracenotesposted 5 years ago

What causes skin cancer?

Please feel free to comment on basal cell, squamous cell, or melanoma, within your area of experience.

2. conradofontanilla profile image81
    conradofontanillaposted 5 years ago

Ultraviolet rays strike the skin and produces singlet oxygen and hydroxyl free radical out the water in the skin. Energy excites molecular oxygen, reverses the spin of one of the unpaired electrons and turns it into singlet oxygen that is more hazardous than the molecular oxygen because it can grab two electrons at a time. Due to the parallel direction of the spin of the two free electrons of molecular oxygen it can grab one electron one at a time. Hydroxyl radical is the most dangerous free radical that grabs electrons from molecules like the DNA resulting in mutation then tumor and cancer.
    I got these from literature not out of experience. I have a Hub "Melanoma (Skin cancer): How to prevent and treat it."

3. Jlbowden profile image89
    Jlbowdenposted 5 years ago

Definitely too much sun can without doubt cause skin cancer, especially melanoma. However basal and squamous cell skin cancers can be caused by UV rays as well. Lack of vitamin D and certain veggies containing these vitamins as well as others can also help to prevent to skin cancer in turn.  Increasing your intake of Omega 3 and 6 fish oils can also help reduce your chances of getting skin cancer.  Sometimes skin cancer, as with any various types of cancer are a direct cause of an inherited gene within the family, but not always.  I also recently wrote an article pertaining to squamous, basal cell and melanoma skin cancers.

1. leakeem profile image80
      leakeemposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree. too much sun and too little protection i.e. use of sun blocks and UV lotions. people in the higher latitudes are also more exposed and we can say that they have more risk of getting skin cancer.

4. kyawnaing profile image54
    kyawnaingposted 5 years ago

I heard that cause skin cancer , most  because of sun ..