jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

In general, do you feel that traditions help or hinder human spiritual progress?

1. Emanate Presence profile image77
    Emanate Presenceposted 5 years ago

In general, do you feel that traditions help or hinder human spiritual progress?

2. jlpark profile image86
    jlparkposted 5 years ago

Both. Some traditions hinder progress along a spiritual path - through creating confusion or fear, particularly of change.
    Some other traditions help spiritual progress by giving a guide to follow in order to reach certain points to make spiritual decisions.
    Some traditions need to move with the times, and others need to stay as is. But they are all useful.

Emanate Presenceposted 5 years agoin reply to this

A wise response, gratefully received.

3. rfmoran profile image87
    rfmoranposted 5 years ago

Generally traditions help toward spiritual progress, but sometimes a tradition becomes a goal in itself with no meaning and can hider your progress. I won't list traditions I consider to be hindrances for fear of pissing off a lot of people. Enough to say that if a tradition loses its meaning for you, consider abandoning it.

I like your answer and understand about pissing people off. It was something that I faced in writing my hub-to-be about beliefs, telling the story of the various traditions I adhered to and let go of. Everyone has their own journey....

4. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 5 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7472239_f260.jpg

I certainly think traditions are of great significance and should be examined carefully before abandoning them. My opinion concludes that Vatican II was a significant undermining of traditions and has weakened the universal church quite substantually. Re-discovering old Catholic traditions have accelerated my spiritual growth significantly... I certainly do not wish to impose the Latin Rite Mass on anyone; yet I believe for me, both this traditional Mass and the Sacraments have resulted in a significantly positive effect on my spiritual growth.
    Perhaps another way to "look at this" is to remember this; "the quickest way forward is to go back"...

Thank you for sharing from your journey.

5. profile image0
    Vickiwposted 5 years ago

I think we are surrounded by tradition. I do not consider myself traditional, but there is certainly pressure to conform to some traditions, especially around Christmas! That is why I usually try to go far away to some remote island. It gets me away from all the fuss and gifts of Christmas. On the other hand, I really wanted to marry in a church, and that is very traditional. Churches have many traditions of course, that is expected. But when I hear about truly sad events within churches, I have to question whether tradition actually enhances spirituality. I think I have come to the conclusion that tradition can be a sacred and respected thing, but it takes devoted and kind people to enhance spirituality, no matter what traditional religious rites they observe.Often tradition becomes blurred by commerce, and then there is no opportunity for it to enhance spirituality.

Well said. Such discussions bring up many enriching thoughts and viewpoints. Thank you for participating.

working