jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Do you ever sabatoge yourself by creating failure or unneccesary conflict?

1. Anne-Marie Yerks profile image77
    Anne-Marie Yerksposted 5 years ago

Do you ever sabatoge yourself by creating failure or unneccesary conflict?

I am writing an article about self-sabatoge for a fitness site and would appreciate any insight you have to offer. Thanks!

2. Mr.NGR profile image61
    Mr.NGRposted 5 years ago

Well pertaing to the site you are writing for, self sabotage is the main reason people fail at dieting. we constantly tell ourselves no to what we are accustomed to (concerning bad foods and exercise) and therefore we want more of what's bad and nothing to do with what's good for us. By doing this we first create a recipe fot unnecessary conflict (internal conflict) and secondly sabotage any chance of success.

Now on the other hand personally I sabotage myself on a consistent basis, just this weekend I did something that my almost could not forgive for. I won't go into details but lets just say I had misspoken to someone that I had no right to be speaking with in the first place, even though my intentions were good it was wrong of me to do. It is a bad habit that has caused me a great deal of loss in my life. What makes it worse is that I know I am doing it yet do nothing to stop it at times. No one likes to be told no, for most of us it makes us want whatever it is or to do whatever that much more. The only way to overcome it is to learn through self discovery how to recognise and deal wih it in an appropriate manner, ultimately to practice self discipline. 

I hope this helps a  little bit and good luck.

1. Anne-Marie Yerks profile image77
      Anne-Marie Yerksposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much for this insightful response, Mr. NGR. I think we all sabotage ourselves to some extent, especially with dieting and exercise. Sometimes I "accidentally" forget my workout clothes when I leave the house. ; )

2. Mr.NGR profile image61
      Mr.NGRposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Glad I could be of help and I agree we all sabotage ourselves to some extent. I believe the key is to recognize and attempt to change this behavior. Send me a link to the article when it's done.

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Not that I am aware of. I think self-sabotage is something that a person is not always conscious of doing to themselves.  So to my knowledge, not I haven't.

4. JimTxMiller profile image77
    JimTxMillerposted 5 years ago

No. Self-defeating behavior is counter productive.

5. Abby Campbell profile image95
    Abby Campbellposted 5 years ago

Self-sabatoge can be eliminated by determining current behaviors and what those behaviors can be replaced with. A "plan" is the key to anything (i.e., vacation, business, etc.). It should also be the key to fitness and nutrition.

working