POLL: How many of you focus on a "low fat" or a "low carb" diet?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Abby Campbell profile image74
    Abby Campbellposted 11 years ago

POLL: How many of you focus on a "low fat" or a "low carb" diet?

As a nutritionist who is doing a bit of research, I'm taking a poll. Your diet doesn't necessarily have to be a weight or fat loss diet. I'm just curious as to whether you usually eat "low fat" or "low carb." If you do either, please explain why you eat this way.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8112469_f260.jpg

2. JamiJay profile image70
    JamiJayposted 11 years ago

I eat a low fat diet because I was just recently diagnosed with IBS and eating fat makes me very sick and gives me severe stomach pains. If I eat low fat I do not have to worry about this because fat is the biggest trigger to my IBS (it took me many months to find my personal triggers to my abdominal pains). I also have to avoid sugar and gassy food such as cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts, and peas.

Abby Campbellposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for responding, JamiJay. I have heard that IBS can be painful. I'm so glad you figured out what the triggers are. Do 'essential' fatty acids such as olive oil, fish oil, and avocados trigger your symptoms as well?

2. JamiJay profile image70
      JamiJayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The essential fatty acids do bother me in abundance, but if I eat a little per day it doesn't bother me as much. I do put a little avocado OR olive oil (raw) on my salad and it will be fine. My medicine tends to help a little but it is expensive.

3. Abby Campbell profile image74

That's good to know. Thank you for sharing with me, JamiJay. :-)

3. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

My husband and I just really started to focus on eating a low fat, and especially low carb diet, as my husband was diagnosed as pre-diabetic.  We found out really fast that there are a ton of carbs in almost all foods that are processed no doubt!!!  So, it has been just fish, meat and steamed veggies for us now.  It takes getting used to, as we love pasta and garlic bread!!!  : (   

My husband has already started to slim down just that fast.

Yes, it's amazing how many carbs are in processed foods... usually 'empty' calories too, Faith. I'm so glad you and your hubby are focusing on more healthy eating. Do you still include 'essential' fatty acids in your diet such as Omega-3s?

2. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we try to include the essential fatty acids too!

4. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 11 years ago

My wife and I generally try to eat healthy. Personally, I would say I focus more on a low fat diet rather than low carb. Lately I've been replacing higher fat content foods (including highly processed) with more veggies, meat, greek yogurt, etc. FRESH food is the best!

I agree, Caleb, in that 'FRESH food' is the best. It usually contains the highest nutrient content which is ultimately better for your body. wink Since you are more 'low-fat,' do you focus at all on getting in 'essential' fats such as Omega-3s?

2. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't consistently, but I do take fish oil at times.

Fish oil has so many benefits... glad to know you take it occasionally, Caleb. Thank you for sharing with me. :-)

5. profile image0
    KFushaposted 11 years ago

I don't really pay attention to my "fat" intake, but I try to consume the majority of my carbohydrates early in the morning. Therefore, I can burn off that energy throughout the day.

Thanks for answering, KFusha. It's amazing how many calories are in starchy carbohydrates. If not utilized properly, they can pack on body fat quickly.

6. jaydene profile image61
    jaydeneposted 11 years ago

I do pay attention to what i eat, and i am very fat conscious, meaning  i do not eat foods with  high fat contents.   My weight is good,  but i avoid fatty foods and gravitate to fruits and vegetables.    Cholesterol is deadly and causes heart attacks and strokes.

Thanks for replying, Jaydene. Fruits and veggies are so important for health as they contain most of the nutrients our bodies need. Do you get any type of 'essential' fats in your diet such as Omega-3s?

7. connorj profile image67
    connorjposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8113486_f260.jpg

For moi after providing my DNA for some kind of analysis, if I may add at a rather significant expense I have been instructed to reduce carbs and maintain my relatively low fat intake. I am not obese yet if I could not exercise I believe I would quickly gain weight/fat...

Thanks for sharing, Connor. I hope all is well with your health. Most labs can be expensive, but DNA tests are so much more. sad Being active is so important for all of us - even those who are 'skinny.' From your picture, I see that you are active. wink

2. connorj profile image67
      connorjposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dear Abby!
      If I don't run, walk and skate I know I will be in trouble as I have reached 26 for the 2nd time. I employ a cheap physical trainer to assist me. Her name is Molly, a 4 legged canine.We have something in common, I too married a Campbell.

LOL, Connor. Molly sounds like a great physical trainer. Everyone should have one like her! My Campbell clan is mostly from the Washington, DC, and Maryland area. Of course, that would be on my husband's side too. Maybe there's some relation?

4. connorj profile image67
      connorjposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes all is well with my health, thanks for asking. My wife's Campbell Clan roots are from Upper NY state; however, deeper roots are both from Scotland and Ireland. What do you think about the link between cancer and carbs. Reduce carbs reverse cancer

8. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 11 years ago

Great question Abby. Let me try to explain and then make of what lands like salt thrown over the shoulder being what lands stays. First, that will be an activity for this self next week. I will be designing a nutrition plan to follow this next couple of months anyway.

First and foremost is I have a diagnosis of diabetes type II. Carb count is paramount with figuring stuff out regarding glucose levels. I shoot for 45 - 60 carbs for the three main meals and 15 - 20 carbs for snacks between.

I kind'a follow the Metabolic typing diet and am a protein type. Personal study seems to show that bears true with energy levels. A contrast occurs with most are carb types, yet protein works well with the diabetes seeking calories for energy.

I lean (a giggle here) toward low fat unless seeking comfort foods. A different thing all together. I tend not to eat red meats much for a few years now. Chicken and fish mainly. More whey protein drinks as source, yet that contradicts the Metabolic Typing diet recommendations. I seek the tradition of the Marine Corps then saying "Improvise."

So for me the magic formula is:
    Major meal = 45 - 60 carbs leaning more to 45. Protein as much as I like and fits. Fats low generally.

Adjustments with example. When stressed with a work day and it is meal time (by nature I eat out somehow and someway) I head either to a grocery store as drive time allows or to the corner 7-11 or AM/PM.

Grab a muscle milk = about 25g protein / 10g fat / 10g carb
    Grab corn nuts = 1oz bag = 20g carbs
    Grab a banana (medium) = near to 25 carbs (Measure from thumb to little finger hand spread = near to 7" or same - same every time)

There you have a meal on the run. If apples are available grab a small to medium for a snack mid afternoon. If looking for comfort grab something with oatmeal and raisins. If cookies try to get a single large one = 1/2. Quaker bar works easiest if there = 20g carb.

If I am low on energy I cheat like crazy and get a Giant Slim Jim for the fats = 12g / protein = 6g. Add Cashews 1oz = 10g fat / 5 protein / 10 carb. Add a banana = 25g carb. Toss in an oatmeal bar = 20g carb and I have a meal that seems to work better for energy peaking near 4 - 5 pm with a 12 - 1 lunch hour. I still grab an apple but I will buy a sugar free sport drink with a vitamin boost or a sugar free 5-hr energy drink.

If all is okay, then a cheese enchilada with a chicken taco, frijoles & rice and only eat half portion of each of the latter.

tim

Thanks for sharing, Tim. Type 2 diabetes is definitely controllable with diet (as you probably already know). Is this a new diagnosis, and have you seen a nutritionist yet? Or, are you planning to do it all on your own?

2. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dxd = 10 yrs ago. Nutritionist friends = 2 with near same philosophy. My challenge is budget vs. habits. Change of lifestyle today. Goal is to move to Sweden. Wellness 1st. More Education 2nd. Alone? Not really. I am zero pointing to a start point.

Tim, it sounds like you have a good lifestyle going for you. I hope you are able to rid yourself of diabetes altogether. Sweden sounds absolutely wonderful!

9. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

I concentrate on a low carb diet, which my default can lead to a low fat diet. I do this because I was diagnosed as a Type II Diabetic several years ago I lost 30 pounds, gain back 10, and my numbers have been better than normal since then. However, because of the diagnosis, I now have another pre-existing condition which makes it impossible to get decent insurance.

I have written several hubs about this so I will not go into detail here.

Thanks for sharing, Larry. Yes, I have read some of your answers and hubs. Insurance is definitely not cheap, that's for sure! sad I don't know how much Omega-3 you get in your diet, but it is wonderful for anti-inflammatory conditions. wink

10. dorothy0328 profile image74
    dorothy0328posted 11 years ago

I wouldn't consider myself strictly limited to any of them however I do try to eat healthy and get the recommended daily value of things such as fruits grains and vegetables. If I had to choose I would say lower cholestrol or fat.

Thank you, Dorothy. I appreciate your reply. :-)

11. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

I Try to eat no bad fat and to limit saturated fat. I know low carb is good, but giving up some carbs becomes difficult for me. I think the Meditteranian diet is good. I try to eat healthy food, a difficult task with additives that are not good for the body. I am addicted to frozen yogurt so must moderate my intake.

Thank you for answering, brakel2. The Mediterranean way of eating is very good for health. Low carb is good too, depending on your goals. Even with that, we must replenish our glycogen levels to keep thyroid and metabolism healthy. :-)

12. Be Like Water profile image70
    Be Like Waterposted 9 years ago

I try to keep my fat intake to a minimum. I eat eggs though (with yolk), which is supposed to be the good fat.
    I eat rice for lunch, so I am consuming lots of carbs.
    Although, thanks to my hyperactive metabolism I don't gain fat (for now), but I still maintain a healthy diet to prepare for the future, when my metabolism won't be as reliable as it is now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)