jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Is it only woman who tend to have histrionic personality disorder?

1. ptosis profile image73
    ptosisposted 4 years ago

Is it only woman who tend to have histrionic personality disorder?

Symptoms include; dramatization, theatricality, and exaggerated expression of emotion & easily influenced by others or circumstances

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8220658_f260.jpg

2. pauley13 profile image66
    pauley13posted 4 years ago

It appears that you may have that "disorder" too, judging by the somewhat dramatic and not-so-subtly exasperated way your question is phrased.

Be that as it may, this "behavioral trait" (I prefer this to "disorder") is by no means limited to women. I meet male "drama queens" frequently enough not to have any doubts about it.

It is also worth mentioning that the "disorder" part, as with many other "psychologicial disorders" - such as ADHD, borderline, passive-aggressive, or my favorite "oppositional defiant" - is as much in the eyes of the beholder as anything else.

Culture and environment as well as personal histories of the individuals in question have a lot to do with how their personality quirks are perceived by outsiders who demand that they conform.

Most people with these "disorders" can easily be "treated", even "cured" (if you insist it's something that needs "curing", though I'd call it "modified" or "made to conform") through intelligent human interaction - or through psychotherapy.

Under (almost) no circumstances should any such "disorder" be treated chemically or pharmacologically and be extremely wary of any shrink who tells you otherwise.

What "histrionic" tendencies women in general might have, are satisfactorily explained biologically and/or culturally and rarely, if ever, do they require psychiatric labeling.

1. ptosis profile image73
      ptosisposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Wow, great answer!

3. lburmaster profile image85
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

No. Men can have it too. They always need to be the center of attention. Always entertaining, or wearing the most outrageous clothing to gain attention. Over reacting, but quite shallow and always seeking approval because they are insecure and entertaining is a way of gaining approval from their friends and family. It could describe many homosexuals.

working