jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Do train whistles and rain make you sad, nostalgic, lonely, or what?

1. Marsei profile image88
    Marseiposted 4 years ago

Do train whistles and rain make you sad, nostalgic, lonely, or what?

I'm feeling something as I listen to them both but not sure what.  Just curious what sort of emotions they usually evoke.

2. luvtoowrite profile image42
    luvtoowriteposted 4 years ago

In some ways the sound of a train going by makes me feel nostalgic, but that could be because I rode a train as a child and they were so close to where I lived. I always felt I was telling someone goodbye.

Marseiposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I like your comment and think it may have something to do with my feelings also.  The only time I ever rode a train was to a favorite uncle's funeral.  Thanks for your comment!
      marsei

3. B. Leekley profile image92
    B. Leekleyposted 4 years ago

Train whistles give me nostalgic feelings, as I associate them with train trips I have taken and places where I've lived where train whistles were an every day and night experience. How rain makes me feel depends on the circumstances, such as if I am outdoors or indoors, whether the roof leaks, whether it a gentle rainfall or a thunder storm, and so on. Thunder storms are exciting. Gentle rains, watched through a window, are typically soothing.

Or a train whistle might bring to mind Hank Williams senior singing, "Did you ever hear a whipporwill? It sounds too blue to fly. The midnight train is whining low. I'm so lonesome I could cry."

Unlike your experience in days past, my only memory of trains was one ride to a funeral, so I guess that's prompting my sadness/nostalgia.  It was a gentle rain I heard; I think soothing is correct.  Love Hank and the song.   Thank you for answering.

4. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

Train whistles always remind me of my Granddaddy, who worked for the Clinchfield Railroad for many years. So they are nicely nostalgic for me. And I generally like the sound of rain falling; it is soothing.

Thank you for your answer.  I'm sure they bring back good memories.  And I like the comment about the rain, the same word another hubber used to describe it. 
      Thanks again.

5. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

Hearing train whistles and the other sounds they make remind me of my childhood. I grew up a few blocks from the rail yards and could hear the whistles, screeches, and cars banging together as they were moved from one train to another. Those were the sounds of summer.

The sound of rain makes me feel at peace. Since I can't do anything outside when it's raining, it gives me a chance (and a good excuse) to slow down and relax for the day.

Thank you for your answer.  Seems a lot of hubbers lived close to a railroad when they were growing up and most find the rain soothing.  I like the "excuse" part, makes sense. 
      Thanks again,
      marsei

working