jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

What could cause my palms and soles to turn orangish brown?

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

What could cause my palms and soles to turn orangish brown?

My palms and soles keep getting these rustish/yellow/brownish/orangeish spots on them. It isn't something that can wash off and it isn't some form of dye. It seems worse in the mornings and fades as the day goes by most of the time. It's been happening off and on for a year, but every time I am at a doctors visit I always forget to bring it up. Anyone ever experience this?

2. fpherj48 profile image78
    fpherj48posted 3 years ago

peeples.....I have not experienced this personally.  However, off the top of my head, I can recall a couple of possible reasons for this unusual issue.
    Orange tint to your palms and soles can be a sign of "Hypothyroidism" (under-active thyroid)   Because you are so slender, this possibility seems unlikely (but you never know without appropriate testing) 
    Also, this may be the result of too much "beta-carotene" in your system.  Are you taking this supplement daily?  Or could you be taking a multi-vitamin which includes a high dose of beta carotene?
    Believe it or not, even consuming a lot of (or daily) orange veggies & other foods with beta carotene, can cause this "tint" to settle on the palms and soles......carrots, orange squash, yams...etc.
    If this continues, needless to suggest...."remember" to bring it up to your Dr.  In the meantime, it shouldn't be something to cause you any great concern.  Good luck.

1. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I actually do have a history of hypothyroidism. I came of my synthroid a few years ago and haven't been tested since then, when they said everything seemed normal. I had never heard of it causing discoloration to the hands. Thanks!

2. fpherj48 profile image78
      fpherj48posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Well...what a ya know?  Bring this to your Doc's attention for sure!

3. M. T. Dremer profile image96
      M. T. Dremerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if it would help, but you could try drinking more water. A lot of times dryness and discoloration can be because of a lack of water.

working