jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Is OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnae) related OCD (Obsessive compulsive disorder)?

1. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

Is OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnae) related OCD (Obsessive compulsive disorder)?

My brother has OCD 2 years ago and he is under medication, not recovered. Now his doctor said he has OSA. I was wondering would OCD induce OSA? Are they connected? I had google search but not answer. Maybe someone with OCD could answer my question?

2. Kylyssa profile image95
    Kylyssaposted 2 years ago

It seems unlikely. I have OCD as do a surprising number of my friends and none of us has OSA. My roommate has OSA and he is so laid back he shows no symptoms of OCD at all, not even under stress. I also know a lot of older people with OSA and they don't have OCD, either.

It's probably just an unfortunate coincidence.

The OSA could make the OCD worse if the OSA is under-treated because of the way it interferes with both oxygen to the brain and the quality of sleep can make any mental or emotional issues worse. My roommate used to have more anxiety and irritability before he got his CPAP machine. He's been a lot happier and deals with stress better, too, since getting his machine. So good treatment of the OSA might make your brother's OCD get a little better because it will make him healthier overall to get enough oxygen to his brain when he's sleeping.

I hope your brother gets good treatment and feels better soon.

1. peachpurple profile image83
      peachpurpleposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks very much for your info. Niw he is awaiting fir the doctor diagnosis

2. Kylyssa profile image95
      Kylyssaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. The CPAP machine will be life-changing. The health improvement, especially the increase in energy, is usually dramatic after a month or so of use. Getting enough oxygen to the brain at all times is so incredibly important.

working