jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Is organic farming better for the environment and human health?

1. ptosis profile image72
    ptosisposted 21 months ago

Is organic farming better for the environment and human health?

Nicotone pesticide is permitted in organic gardening. Nicotine Sulfate is Nicotine extracted from tobacco or related Nicotiana species and is one of the oldest botanical insecticides. The synthetic neonicotinoid use in France, Germany & Italy  has been suspended which restored bee populations suffering from CCD, Colony Collapse Disorder

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13113621_f260.jpg

2. tamarawilhite profile image90
    tamarawilhiteposted 21 months ago

No. It has yields a third to half that of industrial agriculture. And in a world of nearly eight billion people, switching to organic everywhere requires destroying much of our remaining wildlands to feed people.

ptosisposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Same thing could be said of cattle, politicos ware trying to social engineer "tiny game' as in, "I don't have an infestation of roaches, I'm a free range rancher." (ugh)

3. Johnny James A profile image74
    Johnny James Aposted 21 months ago

You have to weigh the chemical effects of the pesticides versus the food yield.  Organic food may be healthier in terms of avoiding unnecessary chemicals into the body, however, the food yield is way too low for the amount of resources needed to provide food to our population.  If our population continues to grow at its current rate not only will pesticides be more necessary, but more genetically modified food will be required along with increased water desalinization. Now I am not an expert on "organics" in terms of the legal definition, so I do not know if organic foods can include genetically modified foods.  However, if it does and the genetically modified food can yield more bountiful crops which are more resistant to issues then organics may be better. That being said, I do not think it will keep up with current population increases as of now.

I question the 'more food' with less resources when a GMO salmon AquaBounty life span  - spans 2 continents S. & N. America to keep the Salmon away from the wild. sad Certainly not food made for the masses of starving poor IMHO

4. profile image0
    PeterStipposted 21 months ago

Off course it is. Organic farming has lots of positive side effects. People argue against it by saying that the harvest isn't big enough to fill every bodies belly, that's not true. Today nearly half of the food production is being destroyed because shops only want perfect vegetables. This is completely unacceptable, we have to adjust our own standard, a bent cumcumber taste just the same.
    Not using pesticides means you don't have to produce them, the factories are dangerous for the environment, the products will be eaten by good and bad bugs and in the end by humans as well. The dying of the bee population is one side effect of using poison that we can not afford ourselves.

The amount of food going to waste is enormous. Remember digging through behind Safeway of fruits & veges thrown away. Next day it was locked. sad

working