Best ADD or ADHD Medicine?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Best ADD or ADHD Medicine? Which is the best one and why?

1. SparklingJewel profile image66
      SparklingJewelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it is my belief from my life and children's experiences and reading/research...that the best aids for these types of brain function issues is first to look at diet, to be sure you are gettiing the vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc...that you need.

Then, try specific movement programs, like Brain Gym (Educational Kinesiology) before you get to the point of relying on drugs...that truly only in the most extreme cases are the best option...even then, only for management until you get a diet and movement program lined up.

I just a few moments ago put a link to Mercola.com on the Health forum. It is an article about electromagnetic energy that affects us. This is also another Major factor of these types of brain function issues.

you can also do a search on Mercola.com to find other articles and links to research on your health issues of all kinds, as well as ADD ADHD

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Your brains. Because there are no side effects. smile

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mine doesn't concentrate. It is it's own side effect. big_smile

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL You can't call this a side effect, it's the very thing you are trying to fix. Did you try meditation? smile

I have tried some, not too much. Even trying meditation, I get distracted. While I am trying to relax my thoughts or even not think, I think about why I am trying to not think or relax my thoughts. lol Am I doing something wrong?

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Nah, we all do pretty much the same. Silencing your mind is not an easy task, and takes years to achieve - people say. I am doing it for about ten years already, and still am not there LOL. But you start feeling mentally better pretty soon, so it is not a wasted effort in any way. smile

Thanks, I will keep working on it. Still think I could go for some meds. to see what kind of potential I can reach when I can focus on one thing at a time. If I would have tried some meds for it sooner, I could have been a millionaire by now? big_smile Wishful thinking.

5. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Do you really think you can dump chemicals on your brain and it will somehow make you all better?

There is simply no logic in that.

How much neuroscience have you researched before? Different brains operate differently and some are unbalanced. There is no logic in your assumption. I only said I was wishfully thinking.

6. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 14 years ago

Playing music helped my son immensely, he's not on any meds. It would probably help him to have something but I prefer the use of methods that change your brain without medication.

Maybe look at the book "The Brain That Changes Itself", I think that's the title.

7. profile image52
    Amazin Gracieposted 14 years ago

ADD/ADHD meds can be extremely
    helpful depending on your challenges.
    Only 40% of ADD folks have the hyper-
    activity component - their RX's are
    different than for the hyperfocused
    engineering type.
    Co-morbid conditions often exist
    with ADD, including learning disabilities,
    depression, anxiety, anger etc.
    Key is finding a real professional in the
    field - no schoolteachers - mainstream
    m.d.'s etc.
    The very first 'med' is actually
    vigorous exercise - really helps.
    Stimulants in and ADD person actually
    calm (often put to sleep) hyperactivity,
    as does caffeine and smoking. Drugs and
    drinking exacerbate the symptoms.
    If you have 15 simultaneous projects -
    none finished; papers piled high; feel
    barraged by tasks you can't prioritize;
    do better at night during the day (less
    distraction); have creative or musical
    talent - these are common symptoms of
    ADD.
    ADD is often misdiagnosed as depression -
    though root cause is ADD - a feeling of
    not fitting - depression is result.

Though mental health is viewed by many as
    'pseudoscience' - if you have symptoms
    which affecting cognition, focus and mood,
    first make sure it's not thyroid, then
    consider treatment.

None of us wants to get high - just to
    think more clearly. ADD meds are also
    used for traumatic brain injury.

Cood luck!

8. profile image0
    JeanMeriamposted 14 years ago

I have fostered two kids who used ADD meds. First child took Ritalin. Made him weepy, paranoid and unable to sleep. Other child took Concerta. She went from bright, cheerful and loving, but extremely hyper and sometimes aggressive into a child who woke up and went into rages about anything and everything, quit smiling unless she was trying to harm someone and was convinced there was a ghost in her bedroom. I would stay away from them unless you’re so distracted you’re driving into telephone poles.

9. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

My husband has been on Strattera for a little over a year now and it helps him tremendously.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)