Grapefruit Health Benefits with Recipes
Grapefruit is good for the body inside and out!
Febraury is National Grapefruit Month. In honor of the grapefruit, the benefits of this fruit are explored and a couple of delicious recipes are posted, too! Let us learn about the celebrated grapefruit. Grapefruit has many health benefits. The popularity of this fruit has lent itself to diets, supplements, fragrances in body lotions and body sprays, grapefruit is ideal for facial masks and an awesome source of vitamin C. Vitamin C helps to boost the immune system and just a daily serving of 100 percent grapefruit juice gives you a full serving of fruit without additional sugars.
The grapefruit is a hybrid fruit resulting from a cross between the pomelo and a sweet orange. Grapefruits grown in clusters like grapes hence the name. The grapefruit can help you lose weight because of certain enzymes in the fruit. What else can this fruit do for you? Let us find out.
1. Grapefruit is loaded with the antioxidant Vitamin C. It helps boost your immune system especially during the cold and flu season.
2. It works as an antiseptic. Grapefruit contains salicylic acid which works as an antiseptic.The salicylic acid can help break down calcium build up in joints making grapefruit a good choice for those who suffer from arthritis. Also, salicylic acid is found in grapefruit seeds. Grapefruit seed extract can be used to prevent certain fungal infections.
3. Grapefruit can help lower bad cholesterol levels. When eaten regularly these fruits help get your cholesterol levels back to normanl, however, ask your doctor before consuming grapefruit as a treatment since this fruit can interact negatively with many prescription drugs.
4. It protects the body from cancer. Pink grapefruit contains a pigment called lycopene. Lycopene attacks free radicals and can assist in the prevention of certain types of cancer. There also exisits an antioxident called naringenin in grapefruit. This antioxidant helps repair damaged prostate DNA.
5. Grapefruit contains a dietary fiber called pectin. Most people do not get enough fiber in their diet. Grapefruit can help you meet the recommended allowance for dietary fiber intake. 25 grams is recommended and one serving of grapefruit contains 2.8 grams of fiber.
More Healthy Tid Bits - Using Food
- How to Use the Health Benefits of Garlic to Ward Off High Blood Pressure and Protect Cells From Canc
Scientific evidence promotes garlic as a healthy addition to your diet. See how it affects cancer and high blood pressure and then learn about tips for making garlic a part of your daily diet.
- Chocolate and Yoga
Many foods have antioxidant properties or compounds that naturally improve well being. Proper diet along with exercise keeps a body strong and healthy. Let's examine natural health, healing and organic remedies to keep you hearty and healthy.
This tart and tangy salsa is a great stand alone with chips. Use it to top fish, grilled meats and fill tacos.
- 1 large pink grapefruit peeled and cut into segements and cubed
- 1 mango peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. chopped canned jalapenos
- 1/4 chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- juice of one lime
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with tortilla chips or top grilled chicken or pork. Also a great filling in fish tacos.
Grapefruit is low in calories and a fantastic fruit to eat while dieting. Grapefruit may also assist in burning fat which is great for any dieter. Its high water content and low sodium helps increase your body's metabolism.
Yogurt and Grapefruit Salad Dressing - Tart and tangy!
A smooth and cool dressing for topping your greens or even fruit salad. Smooth and creamy and scrumptious!
- 1 whole peeled and sectioned grapefruit
- 1 8 ounce container of vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 tsps. poppy seeds
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. honey
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and pulse until thouroughly combined. Serve chilled over salad greens or mix with fruit salad and serve.
Eating Grapefruit Is Easier With - A Grapefruit Spoon
Grapefruit spoons are designed with small tines at the end to help you dig out the fruit of a grapefruit. They come in handy when trying to get the last delicious tid bits from a grapefruit and squeezing out the juice.
Grapefruit - by Yoko Ono
Amazon describes Yoko Ono's book "Grapefruit" as a book that is
"Back in print for the first time in nearly thirty years, here is Yoko Ono's whimsical, delightful, subversive, startling book of instructions for art and for life."
"Burn this book after you've read it." -- Yoko
"A dream you dream alone may be a dream, but a dream two people dream together is a reality."
"This is the greatest book I've ever burned." -- John