3 Home Remedies to Treat Urinary Tract Infection
Urinary tract infections also referred to as Cystitis or Pylenephritis are common. There are several causes for the development of UTI. Here are some simple home remedies that can be beneficial in the management of the Urinary tract infections.
Keep Your Kidneys Healthy
Urinary Tract Infection: Prevelance and Facts
Urinary Tract Infections, also referred to as cytitis or pylonephritis, refers to lower and upper urinary tract infections respectively. Estimates suggest that UTIs affect approximately 20-40% of females in their reproductive age. In the United States, UTI account to approximately 6 million visits to the physcian each year of which 20% contribute to Emergency Department Visits.
UTI is often associated with a wide range of causes and symptoms which can interfere with the rotuine functioning of an individual. Fortunately there are several home remedies and natural treatment options to manage the condition promptly and effectively.
What are Urinary Tract Infections? Cystitis Vs Pylonephritis
Urinary Tract Infections may be referred to as cystitis ( lower urinary tract infection) or pyelonephritis ( upper urinary tract infection). The term refers to the presence of bacteria or yeast in urine.
In most cases urinary tract infection are associated with symptoms like burning and pain during micturation, but may occasionally present in the form of blood strained urine, especially in cases of severe UTIs.
How Do You Get Urinary Tract Infection
Urinary Tract Infection is most commonly caused due to the infection by E. Coli bacteria. However, there are several other bacteria including Eenterococci, Klebsiella, Staphylococci, etc which may contribute to UTI.The common sources of UTI include,
- Bacterial infection from the rectum, or vagina. Poor hygyine can result in transmission of the bacteria to the urinary tract resulting in secondary infections
- Sexual intercourse increases the risk of developing UTIs. Further, estimates suggest that the use of spermicidal gels or diaphragm can increase the risk of infection.
- Restraining the desire to urinate. This causes stretching of the bladder, weakens the bladder, preventing complete emptying. The urine that remains in the bladder increases the risk of infection.
- Urinary Calculi or bladder stones also contribute significantly to the development of urinary tract infections
Cranberries are the Most Potent Natural Remedy for U.T.I.
Home Remedies to Battle UTI Rapidly
There are several home remedies for UTI, which have been found to be highly effective. Some of them include,
- Baking soda: A blend of ½ tsp baking soda and 8 ounces of water is highly beneficial. The existence of baking soda in the body brings the acid-base balance to equilibrium.
- Cranberries: Cranberries prevent bacteria from clinging to the cells within the urinary tract. Cranberries are powerful UTI fighters and they also supply potent anti-oxidants that boost immunity and defense processes of the body
- Lemon Detox Diet: A lemon detox diet is considered beneficial in purging out accumulated toxins and waste in the body. A lemon detox diet while being beneficial in purifying the blood also plays a crucial role in improving renal functions and preventing the occurrence of UTIs.
The most important guideline to handle UTI successfully is increasing the intake of fluids. Ensure that you drink a minimum of 3 liters of water per day. Additionally, consume fresh fruit juices, barley water, soups and coconut water. Stay away from aerated drinks and coffee.
Fluids cleanse the body and flush out unwanted toxic wastes and microbes, thus, hastening cure.
If Prone to U.T.I. Incorporate a Lemon Detox Diet in to Your Routine
Essential Oils to Battle Urinary Tract Infections
Aromatherapy essential oils help treat cystitis and UTI effectively. The oils that are of particular use for the condition are: bergamot, sandalwood, tea tree, juniper and frankincense. Blend 1 of these essential oils with a carrier oil such as almond oil and use it to massage gently over the abdomen. These oils help alleviate inflammation, swelling, pain and reduce the symptoms of infection promptly.
However, aromatherapy needs to be used in conjunct with the other treatments and measures for best results.