- Women's Health»
What to Pack in Your Bag When Going to the Hospital to Deliver a Baby
Hospital Bag Checklist Poll
What would you most be worried about forgetting to pack?
A Hospital Bag Checklist
First time moms need all of the help they can get. Here's an easy checklist to help you pack your "hospital bag". Warning, this may not all fit in just one bag.
- Cord Blood Collection Kit - If you're doing Cord Blood collection, this should be at the top of your list. Have your husband/significant other/birthing coach put the courier's phone number in their cell so they can call for pick-up once the kit is ready.
- Camera - Don't forget to check the batteries & that there is room on your memory card!
- Cell phone & charger
- iPad & charger - I have Netflix and instead of paying for TV rental, I watched a movie on my iPad. I also was able to read my digital copy of "What to Expect the First Year"
- Toothbrush & toothpaste - The hospital provides travel sized ones.
- Shampoo & conditioner - Most hospitals provide an all-in-one shampoo/conditioner/body wash. My hair gets knotted easily if I don't use a separate conditioner.
- A washcloth or bath sponge - In the hospital they use paper washcloths. Basically it's a paper towel to wash with.
- Hairclips/Ponytail holders - You'll want to pull your hair back away from your face.
- Face Lotion/Body Lotion - The air in the hospital can be very drying.
- Lip Balm - See comment above.
- Face Wipes - My favorite are Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes - Night Calming
- Make-up - If you have visitors, they will be taking photos. If you usually wear make-up, you'll be glad you packed it.
- Gum or breath mints - If you're anything like me, you'll be falling asleep a lot. Gum or breath mints will help you freshen your breath when visitors come.
- Flip flops - You may want to bring an extra pair to wear in the shower as well.
- A few pairs of pajamas - Everyone will be taking pictures of you holding the baby. Your pajamas will look much better than the hospital gown.
- A robe - When you wander out of your room and run into everyone who is there for visiting hours, you'll be glad I suggested this. Also, in some hospitals they have new mom/baby classes and this way your butt isn't hanging out.
- Socks - Most likely the hospital will give you a pair. I liked having my own for when I was in bed, and wore flip flops to walk around in.
- Extra pillow - Not a necessity, but some people like having their own.
- Phone numbers for family and friends to call after delivery
- Nursing bra - if you plan to breastfeed
- Boppy or other type of nursing/feeding pillow - If you have it at home, bring it. This will make things more comfortable.
- Underwear - Several pairs. The hospital will provide gauze-like underwear for you, but you may want your own. Know that whether you have a vaginal delivery or a c-section, you will have bleeding, so bring old underwear if you have them.
- Going home clothes - Just in case you wondered, you will not fit in your pre-pregnancy size just yet.
- Going home outfit for the baby - Don't forget socks and a hat.
- Baby blanket
- Infant car seat - This should already be installed in the car. Dad can bring this up on the day you bring baby home.
- Snacks for your husband/boyfriend/birthing coach - Unfortunately, you're not allowed to eat anything once labor begins. But, since it may take several hours, your husband/boyfriend/birthing coach will want something to eat.
- A change of clothes for your husband/boyfriend/birthing coach - Again, since he/she will be there with you for several hours, he/she might want a change of clothes too.
More Articles on Pregnancy and Newborns
- What You'll Need to Pack in Your Baby's Diaper Bag
A well equipped diaper bag is a must for every mom on the go. This handy checklist, with explanations, will have you on the road in no time.
- Head-to-Toe Visible Physical Changes You May Experience During Pregnancy
What types of visible, physical changes, can you expect to experience while pregnant? Here's a head-to-toe description of what I experienced.