How to Cure Bad Breath with Easy Solutions
Bad breath which is also known as halitosis in the medical term can be a very terrible problem that faced by just anyone. There is a lot of shame that can be associated with this oral condition since people will shun away when they start noticing your disgusting and stinky breath. That won't do good to your professional and social life and not also forgetting to mention about your intimate relationship. No one likes to be around people who stinks.
Bad breath or halitosis is a term used to describe noticeably unpleasant odor or smell that comes from a person's breath. Bad breath problem normally caused by bacteria that could be found in a person's mouth or due to some other medical related and unrelated reason.
The most common cause of halitosis is due to anaerobic bacteria that live within the surface of tongue and throat that produces waste product known as 'volatile sulfur compounds' (VSC) as they break down sugar and protein. This sulfur compounds is what causing the your breath stinks.
Before anything else, it is important to identify what causes bad breath or halitosis in your situation. No effective methods or treatments could be done without addressing the real cause of your problem as you might be targeting the wrong cause.
What Causes Bad Breath?
Below are some of the known causes of bad breath (halitosis):
- dry mouth is a very common cause of bad breath and people who suffer from halitosis always have this problem. Dry mouth or dehydration is a perfect condition for the anaerobic bacteria to grow and thrive.The waste products that they release while multiplying is what makes our breath stink. So to avoid this, drink plenty of water a day.
- smoking is another thing that cause bad breath. Do you know any smoker who does not have a stink breath? I doubt it, unless he or she uses a mouth spray, the breath will stink.
- digestive problems, kidney/ liver disorders, diabetes and other underlying medical conditions can lead to halitosis. If you aren't sure if you are suffering from such conditions, do perform a medical checkup immediately.
- poor digestion and constipation is also another factor of bad breath. This is due to the foul gas that is released from the stomach and to prevent this, you can consume food that is high in fiber. Additional, you can get pills or herbal tea that could help you to release from the pharmacy.
- alcohol or alcoholic drinks can be a significant cause of bad breath, especially if you like to drink a lot. Alcohol has been known to be an agent that leads to digestive disorders and also making the mouth dry.
- foods that you consume can also be the factor that make your breath stink. Spices such as onion and garlic have strong order and after consuming these food, your breath will become unpleasant. For as long as these foods stay inside your body, it will continue making your breath stink. To cover the bad odor, you can try brushing your teeth and rinse your mouth with suitable mouth wash solution. Use breath spray if you need an instant boast, especially for social meeting.
- if you have sinus and tonsil infections, bacteria will tend to stick onto the back of your throat and this activities will making your breath smell.
Those are some of the common causes of bad breath and identifying the real causes of your bad breath problem can definitely provide you an insight on how to deal with it effectively. However, if you always happen to have bad breath, then that's a sign that you are not drinking plenty of water.
Testing For Bad Breath
How to know if you are suffering from halitosis?
There is a very simple method that you can do on yourself. Just use the innermost part of your tongue to lick your wrist and wait for a few seconds. When it nearly becomes dry, smell it. If it smells good or nothing, then it will be normal, otherwise, you are suffering from halitosis.
Alternatively, you can also use a spoon to scrap on your tongue. Once done, smell the stuffs that your spoon has collected and if you smell anything other than good, then you have a bad breath (Please watch the bad breath test video below if you need more instructions.).
Bad Breath Test Video Instruction
How to Cure and Prevent Bad Breath with Home Solutions
- drink plenty (enough) of water a day. Water is the best liquid and the most important agent for your body. The more water your drink, the better and your mouth will stay clean. For an average adult, drink not lesser than 2.5 liters a day
- always maintain a good oral hygiene. Brush your teeth at least two times a day and if you aren't lazy, each time after meal. Don't forget to scrap your tongue too; this is the most common cause of bad breath.
- avoiding coffee and tea. These caffeinated drinks create a thin layer of coat on your tongue and which, could block oxygen from reaching it. This is a perfect environment for the anaerobic bacteria to thrive and start producing waste products that contribute to your bad breath. Switch to herbal tea or any other healthier drinks should you still need to drink something to boast up your energy in the morning or when burning the night oil.
- eating yogurt. Note that you should consume sugar free yogurt only. The bacteria that presents in the yogurt could help get rid of the bad breath causing bacteria that lives on your mouth.
- gargle with baking soda and warm water. Mix one table spoon o baking soda with one small cup of warm water and gargle with it for few minutes. Baking soda is capable of getting rid and prevent the growth of bacteria in your mouth.
- eating crisp fruit and vegetables such as apples, pears, celery and cucumber. These fruits and vegetables are capable to clean your mouth naturally.
- consuming avocados and apple cider vinegar. Both of these food can improve your digestion system by cleaning your intestines. Ineffective digestive process or system can result in bad breath; this is due to when food is not broken down completely, foul gasses originates from your stomach will come out of through your mouth and make your breath stinks.
- consume parsley and mint leaves after each meal as they have natural properties that freshen and help alleviate the foul odor in your mouth. Both of these natural remedies have been used to get rid of bad breath for a very long time.
Hope that with the steps above, you will be able to fix your bad breath quickly and start enjoying a health social and professional life.
Do you or have you suffer(ed) from bad breath?
Would you like to write for HubPages?
Do you have a passion? Or perhaps something that you are very good at and that you want to share it with others? If that's so, why not express your thoughts with writings and have them published on HubPages? HubPages is a great place to share your opinions and thoughts, which at the same time earning you passive income. There are actually few different ways to earn money, and there are many hubs and threads that explain exactly how to do this for you, in simple but yet thorough explanation. HubPages is a great community to meet new friends and hubbers.
Sign Up Today with HubPages for free and be part of the community that contributes to a better world!