30 Lessons Learned From 30 Days of Yoga Part 2
I practice yoga every day, whether I hop on the mat and move to a playlist, or do five to ten minutes of light stretching as a warm up before taking a few photos for Instagram. Once or twice a month, I might seek out a class on YouTube, usually with Adriene Mishler. I've grown accustomed to being independent in my practice. I love starting the day on my mat, moving along to music, and giving my body the stretches it needs. It's a moving meditation of sorts that I absolutely adore.
One event I look forward to every year is 30 Days of Yoga, hosted by Adriene, also known for her channel, Yoga with Adriene. Each January, she puts together this free yoga event, centered around a theme. This year, the theme was Dedicate.
After 30 days of consecutive, guided yoga, I like to reflect on what I learned and how I can apply the knowledge gained into my personal, daily practice. The following are the lessons I've learned his year, in no particular order.
1. Guided practices are great, but after 20 days, I start to miss moving on my own.
2. Incorporating more active yoga will balance out the restorative, relaxing yoga I normally do.
3. Every day you come to the mat will be a new experience.
4. Take up space.
5. You are worthy.
6. Don't by shy. Having an at home practice really boosts your confidence and allows you to get comfortable moving on the mat.
7. Your mat and your practice have your back.
8. There are multiple ways to work your abs.
9. Don't be afraid to get creative.
10. Forgive, let go, and move forward.
11. Find the stillness among the chaos.
12. Make peace with yourself.
13. Accept where you are today.
14. Tapas is heat. Sometimes it's good to welcome a little heat in the body when you feel like you're getting sick. Doing this actually helped prevent me from getting worse.
15. Open your mind.
16. Find something new every day you come to the mat.
17. Never, not learn.
18. Love yourself.
19. The only constant is change.
20. Wherever you are, trust that that's exactly where you are supposed to be.
21. Be patient.
22. Progress will come when you least expect it.
23. Trust the process.
24. Trust yourself.
25. Follow the aliveness.
26. Explore balance.
27. Find strength without creating tension.
28. Be silly.
29. Have fun.
30. Celebrate who you are on the mat and take that with you off the mat.
© 2019 Alyssa