Vegan Diet to Fight Aging: Regimen to Improve Life Expectancy
Vegan Diet and Research
As per British Researchers, the consumption of a particular kind of protein found in meat and fish has been associated with amplification of the aging process and results in lowering the life expectancy.
The research study recommends a vegetarian or Vegan diet to improve the length and quality of life. Vegan Diet is also considered to delay aging process and keep you looking younger for longer.
Vegetarian Diet for Health: Vegan Diet to Prevent Aging
Methionine is an essential amino acid (i.e. not produced in the body) and is supplied from the food that we consume. Methionine is an amino acid which is required for synthesis of proteins and contains the element sulphur.
Methionine is found in high levels in fish and meat along with some nuts like the Brazil nut. Methionine content in fruits, legumes, pulses and vegetables is fairly low.
In clinical trials conducted on fruit flies, British Researchers, at the Institute of Healthy Ageing at University College London, observed that this amino acid affected the life span of the fly.
Considering that humans and fruit flies share comparable genes, Dr Matthew Piper said that though the study was conducted on fruit flies, similar results would be expected in mice. He stressed that if a human clinical trial showed similar results, it would be prudent to reduce the levels of Methionine in humans. This research would have a great implication on individuals who are on a high protein diet especially body builders and athletes.
Vegan Diet to Improve Life Expectancy: Benefits of Being a Vegetarian
What we eat plays a crucial role and impacts the quality of life and also our life expectancy. A healthy balanced diet is the basis of a healthy life. Here are some simple dietary recommendations,
- Vitamins are known to beneficial in slowing down the process of aging and enhancing immunity which in turn protects an individual against a host of chronic conditions like cancers and cardiac disorders. Biotin supplements are also considered beneficial in enhancing life span.
- Regular intake of fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, legumes, diary products, whole grain, etc, contributes significantly to enhancing life expectancy. Avoid refined, tinned or canned food products. These foods are high in preservative and may contribute to hormonal imbalance and result in metabolic disorders.
- Avoid oily, fatty, spicy foods. Avoid animal meat, fish and poultry. Alternatively consumption of lean meat can be beneficial
- Avoid cheese, butter or saturated oils. These are unhealthy fats and should be avoided. Alternatively use olive oil for cooking food. These foods increase the risk of developing cardiovascular disorders and diabetes, which in turn may result in poor quality of life
Regimen to Improve Life Expectancy
In addition to a vegetarian diet, there are certain life style considerations that can help in improving life expectancy,
- Working for a cause or identifying a hobby, which you are passionate about is crucial. This will keep you engrossed and works as a great mood booster. This helps improve your quality of life and works as a strong de-stressor
- Take frequent holidays. Holidays are packed with experiences, which also contribute towards reducing stress and enhances the ability to cope with psychological disturbances
- Reduce you time spend on unproductive activities like watching Television or surfing the net. Keep yourself agile by talking a walk or light exercise or Yoga. Yoga is potential beneficial in keeping the heart healthy
- Accept the fact that you will age. Psychologically accepting the changes in your body composition and structure will make the process of aging graceful and healthy.