Treating Molluscum Contagiosum Naturally: Home Remedies and Natural Cures for Skin Infections
What is Molluscum Contagiosum?
Molluscum Contagiosum is an infection that is caused by the molluscum contagiosum virus and spreads via contact with an infected person or if you use his contaminated things. Characteristic manifestations are eruptions; these however, are self-limiting. In general, the symptoms disappear, without any medication. On the other hand, in children, treatment is essential, since there is a risk of scar formation.
Molluscum Contagiosum Symptoms: Skin Infection Symptoms
Some of the common symptoms associated with the condition include,
- Development of eruptions all over the body is the chief presenting symptom
- Eruptions are flesh-colored, dome-shaped and oozing.
- Itching is extremely common; and may be associated with occasional burning.
- Common sites are: face, hands, torso and legs.
- In addition, the eruptions cluster together.
Molluscum Contagiosum Causes: Causative factors for Skin Infection
Molluscum Contagiosum is caused by the molluscum contagiosum virus, which is a DNA pox virus.
- Infection spreads through direct contact: from one individual to another directly through touch or by using certain articles, such as, brushes, napkins, towels, etc.
- Swimming pools also spread the disease.
- Contact sports are a huge contributing factor too.
- Sexual intercourse with an infected individual also causes a spread of the infection.
Incubation period for the virus is two to seven weeks; tiny papules form and then they spread all over.
Molluscum Contagiosum Home Remedy: Home Remedies to hasten Healing
There are a host of home remedies that treat molluscum contagiosum successfully. They dry up the rash quickly. Aromatherapy essential oils such as: Tea Tree essential oil and Neem oil are very effective. These oils greatly reduce all the symptoms of molluscum contagiosum and check a spread of the infection. They also prevent secondary bacterial infection, decrease the severity of burning and itching, heal papules rapidly and avert scar formation.
- Sea salt: Blend together 1 cup of sea salt, ¼ cup olive oil, 2 spoons of honey, 10 drops grape seed oiland 10 drops tea tree essential oil. Massage in to the affected area generously and leave on. After 20 minutes, rinse off.
- Exfoliation: Exfoliation is an important aspect to manage molluscum. Mix baking soda with water, and make a paste. Apply this paste to your skin daily. Leave for 5 minutes, then wash.
Homeopathy to Treat Molluscum Contagiosum: Natural Cures
Homeopathy drugs are decidedly beneficial in the management of molluscum. Homeopathy medications help eliminate itching ad discomfort spontaneously. The eruptions begin to subside within 2 - 5 days of the treatment. Sulphur is the most widely used drug that helps mange such cases successfully.
Bryonia is another potent homeopathic drug which is considered beneficial in the management of slow and insidious infections of the skin, namely eczema, dermatitis and molluscum.