Mushroom to Prevent Cancer and Delay Aging: Recipes
Edible Mushrooms Improve Life Expectancy
Laboratory investigations and research studies have shown that button mushrooms help in enhancing the body’s immune response and also aid in protection against cancer.
In clinical trials conducted on white mice, it was found that mushrooms can protect and shield the body against a host of bacterial and viral infections as well as cancers.
Further evidence suggests that edible mushrooms have a beneficial effect in delaying the signs of aging, given that they reduce free radical damage caused by undue exposure to enviormental toxins.
Used by ancient Egyptians, mushrooms were thought to be conferred with unique properties which were considered to bestow immortality and improve life expectancy. Ancient Egyptians enforced decrees to prevent the common man from using them and their access was limited to the Pharaohs only.
Button Mushrooms resemble miniature umbrellas and are available in three basic varieties,
- The white button mushroom,
- The brown button mushroom
- The brown open button mushrooms.
Edible Mushroom Nutrition and Health Benefits
Here are some nutritional highlights and facts about button mushrooms:
- Button Mushrooms are loaded with Vitamin B complex which is considered essential for a host of metabolic functions in the body.
- Button mushrooms are packed with trace minerals such as, zinc, copper and selenium which are important for various developmental and metabolic functions.
- Button mushrooms are a very good source of phyto-chemicals, which are powerful antioxidants that play a crucial role in averting the signs of aging and also providing protection against cancer.
- Mushrooms help in the augmentation of natural killer cells or lymphocytes in the body which play an essential part in enhancing immunity and protecting the body against various infections and cancers. Lymphocytes are responsible for phagocytosis (i.e. swallowing any allergen or foreign body).
- In addition to enhancing the production of lymphocytes, it also enhances the ability of these natural killer cells to swallow and obliterate bacteria, virus and malignant cells.
- Mushrooms are loaded with antioxidants and considered to be highly beneficial in delaying the signs of aging like fine lines, wrinkles and crowfeet.
- Mushrooms also perk up energy levels.
Button mushrooms belong to the Agaricus Bisporus family of the plant kingdom. Here's how you can make a quick and sumptuous mushroom soup:
- Mix together three tablespoons of cream with a tablespoon of corn flour.
- In a pan, add chopped button mushrooms along with some butter and sauté them for a while at low temperature.
- Add two diced onions, 2 to 3 green chilies along with salt and black pepper. Stir well.
- Now add the cream and corn flour mixture and stir till it thickens.
How to Select Edible Mushrooms? Mushroom Allergy
Though mushrooms are decidedly beneficial in enhancing our immunity, they may not agree with all individuals.
- Allergic reactions to mushrooms are common, and may manifest as hives, headaches or respiratory distress.
- Further, excessive consumption of mushrooms is associated with gastrointestinal disorders, bloating and diarrhea.
- Mushrooms are also loaded with purines and hence need to be avoided by individuals with elevated uric acid levels and those suffering from gout and rheumatoid arthritis.
Always select fresh mushrooms. Avoid mushrooms that look wrinkled or darkened due to aging. Organically grown mushrooms are free from fertilizers and provide a burst of antioxidants. Ensure that the mushrooms are firm, plump and fleshy.