Pregnancy Symptoms before a Positive Test
Could You Be Pregnant?
Hi I'm Kay. I work on The Misdiagnosed Miscarriage website. We are devoted to helping women through their miscarriage scares. Often women will message me and want to know if they might be pregnant either for the first time or after a miscarriage.
Well, let's see if we can figure this out together. I'll share what I've learned but would like to get your opinions as well. Please, take a moment to answer the polls. Together we should be able to help women figure out if they indeed may be pregnant.
Are You Pregnant?
Top Ten Earliest Pregnancy Signs
Maybe your period is due any day now and you are just not sure if you are pregnant. Here are some of the common well-known pregnancy signs:
- Cramping with only a little bit of bleeding (if at all). This is believe to be implantation bleeding and can occur up to during the week before your period is due.
- Breast changes and/or pains. You might not even be able to have anything brush against your breasts because they hurt! This is a reaction to the new pregnancy hormones.
- Nausea. We all know about morning sickness. For some this starts even before the test turns positive.
- Exhaustion. Your body recognizes the new hormones even if you don't. You just don't have the energy to do anything.
- Dizziness. You may feel a bit lightheaded and won't want to stand up too quickly.
- Cravings. Suddenly craving some food you wouldn't normally eat? Yep, could be those pregnancy hormones at work.
- Your jeans feel tight. Can't explain this one. I only know that a number of women who email me tell me this is one of the first signs for them and, indeed, for my pregnancy symptoms, my jeans definitely felt snugger the first week or two of pregnancy and then felt normal again after that (for a few more weeks at least!).
- Crying or other mood swings. Feel like the least little thing is making you emotional? You're not alone. Mood swings are a common early pregnancy sign.
- Headache. Some women have slight headaches in the days before their pregnancy test turns positive.
- The most obvious: You haven't had your period. Time to take a test!
Poll: If You Have Been Pregnant....
image courtesy of stock.xchng/Ry Young
...what was your first sign of pregnancy?
Whether your pregnancy was meticulously planned, medically coaxed, or happened by surprise, one thing is certain -- your life will never be the same— Catherine Jones
How many of these symptoms did you have before you had a positive pregnancy test?
"You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests that you think she's pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging from her at that moment"— Dave Barry
If you have been pregnant more than once, were your early pregnancy symptoms (before the positive pregnancy test) the same for each pregnancy?
Is It Time to Take that Test?
The best recommendation for women is just go to your local Dollar Store and pick up some dollar tests. They are cheap and, if you're like the majority of women, you're going to take two or three (or a lot more) before you believe the results. These tests are remarkably accurate and used my many women.
A word of caution: unfortunately, many pregnancies do not implant correctly. There is a chance, with these early tests, that you'll test positive and then will not continue the pregnancy. Until recently, women didn't know they were having these types of miscarriages and just thought they were having a normal period. With these tests, you do run the risk of finding out you are pregnant and then having a period just a few days later.
If you'd like to order tests, check out Amazon's selection:
Find out up to three days before your period is due if you are pregnant.
If you are trying to conceive and would like to stock up on tests, this may be the way to go. Many women say this test showed positive even before their missed period.
Test up to four days before your missed period.
Home Pregnancy Test Poll
What is your pregnancy test of choice?
Early Pregnancy Signs on Youtube
The video is a bit dry but has some really good information on early pregnancy signs.
Some Great Sites
- Pregnancy Test Statistics: When To Take A Pregnancy Test
Pregnancy test results by 'days past ovulation'. Find out the best time to take your test.
Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, you ever wanted to know about a home pregnancy test.
- What To Expect When You're Expecting, Pregnancy, Baby, Babies, Toddler, Parenting -- WhatToE
A terrific site to help guide you through trying to conceive, pregnancy and parenting
What isn't today might be tomorrow.— Unknown
Some Popular Books on Pregnancy
A favorite among expectant moms.
Important nutrition advice. You want to keep that baby (and yourself) healthy!
Your pregnancy week by week.
Are you wondering if you are are pregnant? Do you have anything additional to share? I'd love to hear from you.