- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Sore Throat Home Remedies
All of us suffer from sore throats at some time or another, they are a real nuisance. Home remedies are by far better than medication as you can take them constantly day and night until symptoms pass. Pills and medication are usually only taken 3 to 4 times a day. A sore throat is a lingering condition, which we need to soothe constantly.
Ginger appears in a lot of natural remedies for sore throat. It is an anti-viral, anti-inflammatory painkiller, as well as a mild sedative.
1. In a pint of hot water, soak three tablespoons of grated fresh ginger, for 10 minutes. The strained liquid can be drunk as often as you like throughout the day. Honey can be added as an extra soother, but it is the ginger that has the healing properties.
2. Boil water and add fresh ground ginger, crushed Cayenne pepper, and a piece of cinnamon stick (or ground cinnamon). Let this infusion steep for a while. It can be beneficial to breathe in the fumes of this infusion. Strain the liquid before it gets too strong for your taste, then add plenty of honey.
This is again, can be drunk as often as you like, most beneficial at bedtime.
Other sore throat home remedies are:
1. Very simply cut a wedge of lime, dip in salt, bite on it and suck the juice to your throat. It will sting but it will help.
2. Boil clear lemonade to drink, strange but works! Boiled sugared water also helps, but the other ingredients in lemonade make a difference.
3. You can also try gargling with hot salted water, but this depends on the reason for your sore throat. It may help it may not.
4. Warm buttermilk with honey. You can buy buttermilk and add honey, or you can make your own buttermilk simply by adding butter to boiled milk. Drinking this mixture hot, will coat the throat and ease the pain, and the heat will reduce swelling.
5. Warm water with Apple cider vinegar (one tablespoon vinegar to 1 cup water) gargle for a few seconds, then swallow. Repeat as often as necessary
6. At the first sign of a sore throat, mix warm water with an aspirin and salt, and gargle a few times a day.
7. Hot grapefruit juice with honey, to drink
8. to a glass of hot water, add 3 teaspoons of cornflour and six drops of iodide. Use this as a gargle, but DO NOT SWALLOW.
9. Another natural cure, which is also good for children, is to make a pot of regular tea, and add 2 cough drops (menthol eucalyptus or Honey Lemon) and stir till they dissolve. Add a little honey.
10. home-made infusions, i.e. marjoram leaves with lemon and honey, or crushed ginger, ground cinnamon and cloves are also very effective in reducing throat pain and coughing.
11. Fresh pear juice, warmed and mixed with honey, is a very soothing aid to sore throats.
These natural remedies are far better than pharmaceutical products, especially if the sore throat is accompanied by colds and flu, for which you are already taking medication.