- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
What is Terminal Insomnia? Natural Treatment
Terminal Insomnia and Fatigue Go Hand in Hand
What is Terminal Insomina?
Terminal insomnia is a sleep disorder where, characteristically, the person sleeps well in the first 5 hours; and then awakens, and finds it very hard to go to sleep again.
Inadequate sleep is associated with an overall feeling of tiredness, weariness and bad temper. This condition can also lead to excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS), which is characterized with excessive exhaustion and drowsiness during the day.
Terminal insomnia can lead to reduced mental concentration and focus and also lead to workplace errors.
Causes and Etiology of Terminal Insomnia
Fatigue is a major etiological factor for the development of this condition.However there are certain other caustive factors:
- An allergy that has a propensity to break out early every morning is known to trigger the condition. Dust or pollen allergies are closely linked with this condition.
- Certain individuals are 'light sleepers' and frequently suffer from this disorder.
- Rage, anger, depression, concern, frustration and other such strong emotions also contribute to this condition.
Make Sure You Follow A Fixed Sleep Routine
Lifestyle Modifications for Natural Treatment
All experts and doctors recommend keeping a diary, so that you can understand the precise cause of your illness. In your diary you need to list out all the things that have happened during the course of the day, which could have set off the sleeplessness. In due course, you will be able to pin point the exact cause. In addition to this, there are certain other considerations that can be helpful:
- When you awaken early in the morning, note down the thoughts that seem to be bothering you then. Likewise, note down any physical cause such as headache or pain or itching.
- You must follow a stress busting practice daily. Decide on a hobby, read, paint, listen to music, have a massage, etc.; these help alleviate stress and strain considerably.
- Sleep at the same time every day. Do not have an inconsistent and variable schedule.
- Do not read a book or watch the television before bedtime. Such activites are often considered to overstimulate the mind, resulting in disturbed sleep.
- Practice deep breathing exercises before going to bed; this will calm frayed nerves and infuse quietness.
Pranayama helps Calm You and Promotes Good Sleep
Aromatherapy for Insomnia
Essential oils are of extraordinary value in the management of sleep disorders. Lavender, Neroli, Frankincense, and Clary Sage are effective oils that promise to battle sleeplessness.
- Before going to bed, spray a few drops of Lavender essential oil on to your pillow. Lavender essential oil is soothing and comforting and brings on deep and peaceful sleep.
- Before getting in to bed, have a warm bath. Add 6 drops of Lavender, Neroli, Frankincense, or Clary Sage to your bath water. These essential oils are calming, tranquilizing and induce harmony and peace.
- These essential oils may also be used as a ‘mood perfume’. They will keep you feeling happy and cheerful through the day and fight off stress and anxiety.
- Also, an aromatherapy massage, 2 to 3 times a week will have a beneficial effect.