- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Top 12 Benefits of Onion
12 Amazing Benefits of Onion
Onion is one of the most commonly used vegetables in many of our kitchens. Most of us use onion without knowing its wonderful benefits, and just for the enhancement of taste of the dish.
1. Onion lowers Cholesterol - Eating half an onion (medium size) daily helps in reducing thrombosis, lowers LDL cholesterol, and prevents heart attacks.
2. Onion is helpful in arthritis - Applying a mixture of sesame oil/mustard oil and onion juice reduces arthritic pain.
3. Onion relieves cold and congestion - Keep a mixture of equal quantity of honey and onion juice for 4-5 hours. Then consume two spoons of this mixture 3-4 times a day, to get a relief from cold and congestion.
4. Reduces constipation and flatulence - Use of plenty of onions in our day to day cooking makes our bowl cleaning easier.
5. Helpful in Urinary Tract Infections - Boil some water with onion and reduces it into half the quantity. When it is cool drink to reduce the burning sensation in urination.
6. Helps in relieving asthma - Mix one tablespoon of honey and 1/8 tablespoon of black pepper in a quarter cup of onion juice. Consuming this juice 3-4 times daily is helpful in relieving asthma.
7. Reduces blood pressure - Regular use of onion, whether cooked or raw, helps in reducing blood pressure.
8. Helpful in piles - Make a solution of 10ml onion juice and a teaspoon of sugar or powdered jaggery. Drink the solution twice a day to get relief from piles.
9. For Diabetes - Onions contain Allyl propyl disulfide and diallyl disulfide and they are helpful to lower blood sugar levels and also increases the production of insulin. Consuming onions with garlics enhances its effect.
10. Detoxification - Onion contains amino acids like methionine and cystine which helps in purifying the blood and chewing raw onions also help in oral health.
11. Prevents certain cancers - Regular use of onion is helpful. Onion contains antioxidants like quercetin and phenol which helps in preventing certain cancers such as colorectal, laryngeal, oral, ovarian and prostate cancers.
12. Stimulates hair growth - Since onions contain many essential vitamins and minerals like B6,C, magnesium, germanium and potassium juice of onion applying on the scalps enhances hair growth. The juice is applied twice a week for about three months.
Raw Onion Salad
Do you think onions are an essential part in our daily meals?
Onions - Varieties.
The Sanskrit name for onion is Phalandu. Ayurveda Acharyas have explained the medicinal properties of onion based on their colours.
There are three main types of onions - red (brown) onions, white onions and small red onions, which are also called as sambar onions. They are also used in soups.
Onions are widely cultivated and used throughout the world. The scientific name for onions are Allium cepa and belongs to the family of Liliaceae. They grow in temperate zones. Onions are sweet and pungent to smell. They are used raw as well as cooked food, for culinary purpose. Apart from culinary purpose, onions are also used for medicinal purpose.
Nutrient Value of Onions
One cup of chopped and cooked onions (210 grams) contain - (Ref. from whfoods.com)
Biotin - 26.6%
Manganese - 16%
Vitamin B6 - 15.8%
Copper - 15.5%
Vitamin C - 14.5%
Fiber - 11.7%
Phosphorus - 10.5%
Potassium - 9.9%
Folate - 7.8%
Vitamin B1 - 7.1%
To sum up
- Onions are anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral.
- They are full of digestive enzymes that detoxify and boost the immune system.
- Red onions are more beneficial.
- Including onions in our daily meals is essential for a healthy life.
- Cut onions should not be kept away for later use. They will become toxic.
Onions - On the side of Caution
Though there are many benefits for using onions in our daily life is there any side effects of using onions? Yes. There are. When? If we leave a half cut onion thinking that it will become handy for another time it is not good. Onions once cut, should be used fully. Otherwise, if cut and left, they soon become toxic and instead doing good to our body these cut onions will do harm to our health. Some people have the habit of cleaning the onions and cutting them and keeping them in the fridge for future use. It is said that even keeping the cut onion in the fridge and using it later is also toxic. Therefore, it is better to use fresh onions every time.
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies.