5 Reasons I love Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is fast approaching and I have to tell you, it’s one of my all-time favorite holidays. Anytime football and lots of food are mentioned in the same day, it’s a total success in my opinion. I thought that since I view the world differently than most people, I’d share the five biggest reasons I enjoy Thanksgiving.
1) Black olives and green olives. I’m not sure why, but this is the one day there is no limit on how many olives you get to eat. I eat them as soon as they’re sitting in the appetizer tray. And if I wake up late and the tray’s full already, that’s the first thing I will eat – guaranteed. This is also the day you are allowed to play with your food, too. In the case of black olives, I’m sure it’s no accident God created the little holes on black olives to fit perfectly around the tips of your fingers.
2) You get to spend the day not fighting with your family. This is kind of a joking statement, but we all know that not everyday at home is a happy-go-lucky time. With crazy schedules, stress, homework, chores and other daily responsibilities, completely non-eventful days without negative drama don’t always regularly take place. But for thanksgiving, there’s ample time to hang out with your family because there is really no time schedule, no homework and usually the house ends up clean the day before. This means everyone can actually relax and enjoy time with each other.
3) You get to watch the Detroit Lions lose. I’m not even sure why this team plays EVERY Thanksgiving. I don’t hate the Lions and I know it’s an American tradition, but I wonder how long this will last. They have been a woeful team for decades and it would make our football experience on this awesome holiday if teams were a little more competitive. But I guess it doesn’t matter really. Football on tv on a holiday is like pizza. No matter if it’s good pizza or bad pizza, we eat it anyway because it’s pizza and pizza is awesome.
4) It’s the calm before the holiday season storm. I don’t know about you, but the Christmas season can be the most stressful time of the year. All the money and time spent on buying presents, ornaments, new sets of lights for the house, rum and eggnog can really drain your pocket book! The most frustrating of all for me is the new lights you have to buy every single year. Why? It doesn’t matter how well you take care of them, they only last one season. And the worst part of it is that we keep buying them every year…we never learn our lesson on this!
5) I don’t have to sit at the card table any more. Believe it or not, but this is a major issue for me. Now that I’m an adult I get to sit at the main able with the nice comfortable dining room chairs. When I was a kid, there were so many people in the house that there weren’t enough spaces around the regular dinner table for everyone. That meant the card table and chairs were pulled out of the garage and set out, and this where the kids sat for dinner. All the fun and servings of food were at the main table. Even though you might be 13 years old, you may have to sit with the 4 and 5 year old cousin who won’t stop throwing his mashed potatoes at you or you have to sit with your super annoying younger brother or sister who does nothing but embarrass you in front of family you haven’t seen since last year. How lame! Man, I’m glad I don’t have to worry about that any more.
I’m curious what your favorite things about Thanksgiving are. Leave a comment and share!