Akshaya Trithiya Festival and Gold
Akshaya Tritiya Festival
Akshaya Tritiya Festival is one of the widely celebrated festivals of India. It is also known as Akshaya Tritheeya, Akshaya Trutheeya, Akshaya Trithi and Akha Teej. The whole day is considered auspicious by Hindus and hence any auspicious things are done at any moment of this day.
When is it celebrated? April 21, 2015
Akshya tritiya festival is celebrated on the third day of Vaisakh month of Hindu calendar. On this day the Sun and the Moon are at the height of their brightness. Lord Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi are worshiped on this day. The word `Akshaya' (a Sanskrit word) means that which never diminishes.
Akshaya Tritiya in 2015
In 2015, Akshaya Tritiya is celebrated on 21st of April. . (updated)
The Legends of Akshaya Tritiya
There are several legends of Akshaya Tritiya, such as -
- It is believed that Thretha Yuga was started on the day of Akshaya Tritiya.
- Lord Parasurama, the sixth incarnation of Lord Vishnu was born on this day.
- Veda Vyasa, along with Lord Ganesha, began to write the great Hindu epic Mahabharata on this day.
- During Pandava's exile period, Lord Krishna had given a bowl to Draupadi, which was known as Akshaya patram. The bowl was believed to have given endless food to the Pandavas, and they never had to suffer for food.
- Mother Ganges descended to earth on this day.
- Birthday of Lord Sri Balaram (Balaram Jayanthi), elder brother of Lord Krishna, is also celebrated on this day.
Vedic astrologers in India also consider this festival day as an auspicious day free from all malefic effects. Not only purchase of gold doing any good things on this is believed to bring happiness in one's life.
What special things are to be done on this day?
Some of the popular things people believe in doing on this auspicious day are -
1. Doing good deeds. Many devotees believe in doing sacred deeds like penance, recitation of holy scriptures, ritual bathe in holy rivers. This is another important day for people who believe in charity by way of giving cash or things, or taking up a charity project. It is believed that such good deeds done on this day will bring more punya.
2. Buying gold. It is believed that those who buy gold on this day will be prosperous throughout the year, and you can see too many commercial ads on the shops and televisions reminding people to buy gold.Many book for gold days in advance not to miss the chance of purchasing the yellow metal on this auspicious day. Some others buy ornaments of diamond, silver or gold coins with depictions of various gods and goddesses. Many of the banks also promote gold coins now, and are available in various denominations.
3. Buying a new house. Since it is an auspicious day people who can afford to buy a new house, prefer to buy on this day.
4. Starting a new business. Those who keep postponing to start their business they go forward to start their new business on this auspicious day.
5. Buying a new vehicle is also considered on this auspicious day.
6. Special pujas. According to Puranas, the devotees who perform Shri Maha Vishnu Puja on Akshay Tritiya day may attain salvation. Lakshmi puja is also done on this day.
7. Feeding the poor - It is also said that doing charity work on this day will bring good prosperity and happiness.
8. Helping the needy - Many people help the needy people on this day in various ways wholeheartedly and generously to get blessings in abundance in their life.
Whether we buy gold or not to enhance our prosperity, doing good things will give us happiness in abundance.