Amazing and Unique Gifts for Kids Who Love Trains
Shopping for Train Loving Kids, Rail Fans, and Thomas the Tank Engine Enthusiasts
Trains are captivating, especially for young people. There are so many children who are fascinated and delighted by locomotives, engines, and railways. Our daughters loved trains and we started their collections by buying them small train toys, train books, and movies. However, we soon ran out of ideas to keep their interest. What do you buy the ultimate train enthusiast? Are you also stumped for what gift to get for a kid who has it all? After lots of hunting and thinking outside of the box, I compiled a list of more unique train items. Some of these ideas may be gifts that you are familiar with, but with all of the items listed below, I hope you'll find a wonderful and unique gift to please your train-lover.
Train Clothing for Kids
Every aspiring engineer or conductor needs to dress the party. Full costumes are available online and at costume shops or pieces can be purchased separately for a custom look. For a special gift, consider monograming or personalizing each item.
Etsy is a great online shop to get personalized items. Or, check your local craft shops to see if they can do a quick monogram.
Train Accessories and Memorabilia
If the child in your life already has a train outfit, why not liven it up with some specific accessories or memorabilia?
- Whistle- Wooden or metal whistles can both be monogrammed for added personalization.
- Pins- Look for pins at your local station or on ebay
- Patches- As with the pins, these can be found at a nearby train station, train museum, or on eBay. Sew them on overalls or hats for an added look of authenticity.
- Pocket Watch- This is a really cool idea for the aspiring train engineer or conductor.
I love the idea of accessorizing overalls or a conductor hat with pins or patches from cities and stations that you've visited. What a fun idea for a relative to start up as a memorable experience...sort of like a scrapbook or charm bracelet. Your child will delight in collecting these treasures!
Top Train Toys
What kid doesn't love a great toy? Chances are that the train fan in your life already has train toys, however, if toys are their thing (and yours), here are some ideas:
- Wooden Rail System- Wood systems tent to hold up over time better than the plastic sets that you can purchase. They also seem to be more universal with what types of trains can utilize the tracks.
- Duplo / Lego Track Kit- This is one of my favorites because children can incorporate the legos that they already have into this system to increase the usage of this set.
- Pop-Up Train Tunnel or Tent- Children can read about trains or play with smaller trains inside their very own train space.
- Bubble Train- Trains that blow bubbles will combine some of kid's favorite things!
- Train Mat- If space is limited or for travel purposes, a train mat with tracks on it is a great solution for when you cannot lay out a full track.
Creative Play & Art with Trains
If you are aiming for a gift that can be played with, but also educational, consider getting a creative game, art, toy, or puzzle. These presents will be engaging and stimulating since it is in an area of interest for the recipient.
- Stickers- In most toy stores you can find train stickers. You can also purchase books where you can place trains on various scenes or build your own trains with mix and match stickers.
- Models- Toy stores and hobby stores sell diecast models. You can also buy wooden punch-out models or a kit to make a clay model. Purchase some paint for additional fun in customizing the train.
- Coloring Books
- Puzzles- Puzzles are a great way to enhance motor skills and problem solving for kids. Additionally, if you found a great train scene, you could frame the puzzle.
- Games- Popular board games include: Ticket to Ride- Ages 8+, Rivers, Roads, and Rails- Ages 5+, and Thomas Train and Friends Tipsy Topsy Turvy Board Game- Ages 3+
Unique Train Gifts
These are all ideas that you can purchase or make yourself. Use as home decor or just a fun project to do with your little one. Vintage items can be found on eBay or at boutique sites. Visit The 9 Best Daily Boutique Deal Sites: Find Clearance Hand-made, Craft, Unique Items for remade treasures.
- Framed Train Prints
- Framed Time Tables
- Framed Maps
Sentimental and Memorable Train Gifts
Sometimes when a child has a lot of stuff or if you just want to do something extra-special, creating a memory can be the best gift you can give. Here are some ideas:
- Train Journey- Take the child on a real-life train! Even if it just a short journey, the experience will be memorable. Get them extra excited by letting them hold the ticket and get a map of their journey. You may also be able to find a park or zoo in the area with a small version of a train to ride.
- Train Scrapbook- Work with your child on a train scrapbook. Whether it is photos, tickets, and maps from your own train trips or just things you find online and in magazines, your child will be so engaged by making this present with you.
- Visit a Museum- Depending on where you live, you may or may not be near a train museum. However, there may also be history or transportation museums with locomotive exhibits. What a fantastic day trip for a train connoisseur!
One of the birthday parties that we ever threw for my daughter was to take her to a local train station that ran a small circuit around a park. In the goodie bags for the party guests, we included a couple of tickets for each child. We've also explored unique experiences like night trains, chocolate trains, national park trains, and more.
Train Home Decorations for Rooms
If your train fan would like to spruce up his/her bedroom or playroom, consider these items:
- Train Signs- New or vintage railroad and train crossing signs will add style to the room of a train-lover.
- Train Bedding- A must for the ultimate fanatic!
- Train Rug- The rug can be both decorative and functional. Rugs with printed tracks can provide hours of fun!
- Train Table- Train tables are a great way to store and play with all of your train toys.
Tell Me About Your Train Enthusiast!
I've had a blast the last couple of years finding unique train gifts for my avid train enthusiast. I'd love to hear if you've come up with any other ideas and what your children have enjoyed. Please leave a comment in the section below!
© 2016 Thrifty Lady