- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Gifts & Gift-Giving»
- Personalized Gifts
Amazing and Unique Gifts for Kids Who Love Trains
Shopping for Train Loving Kids, Rail Fans, and Thomas the Tank Engine Enthusiasts
Trains are captivating, especially for young people. There are so many children who are fascinated and delighted by locomotives, engines, and railways. But, what do you buy the ultimate train enthusiast? Are you stumped for what gift to get for a kid who has it all? Some of these ideas may be gifts that you are familiar with, but with all of the items listed below, I hope you'll find a wonderful and unique gift to please your train-lover.
Train Clothing for Kids
Every aspiring engineer or conductor needs to dress the party. Full costumes are available online and at costume shops or pieces can be purchased separately for a custom look. For a special gift, consider monograming or personalizing each item.
Train Accessories and Memorabilia
If the child in your life already has a train outfit, why not liven it up with some specific accessories or memorabilia?
- Whistle- Wooden or metal whistles can both be monogrammed for added personalization.
- Pins- Look for pins at your local station or on ebay
- Patches- As with the pins, these can be found at a nearby train station, train museum, or on eBay. Sew them on overalls or hats for an added look of authenticity.
- Pocket Watch- This is a really cool idea for the aspiring train engineer or conductor.
Top Train Books for Kids
Books are such a wonderful way to nurture your child's love of trains and also teach new facts. There are absolutely so many fantastic classics around that you've probably heard of such as The Little Engine that Could, The Little Red Caboose, The Polar Express, Locomotive, Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo, Freight Train, Dinosaur Train, Goodnight Train, and anything Thomas the Tank Engine! However, I'd love to introduce you to some highly-engaging and unique books that you may not have heard of before.
- Shine-A-Light: On a Train- This unique book uses light to display hidden images designed to engage and thrill the reader. They simply hold the pages to the light to “see-through” the box cars of a freight train, the cabin of the passenger train, skyscraper, and much more. It's interactive and educational!
- Train Stories- This book contains a lovely collection of short stories specifically written for young children who are just beginning to read. An included CD contains lively narration with fun sound effects and music make it perfect for listening to or reading along.
- Lift and Look Trains- Kids are supposed to learn and engage more through the use of "lift the flap" style books. In this book, there are many things to spot while on the train and a few hidden surprises along the way. This book is recommended for ages 3+
- See Inside Trains- This book is slightly more advanced than the book mentioned above. Readers can lift-the-flaps to engage in a history of locomotion from Stephenson's Rocket to modern-day bullet trains. Learn about all sorts of exciting trains, from a luxury steam train fit for a queen to super-fast trains that run on magnets, trains that can climb up mountains, and lots, lots more.
- Wind-Up Train Book- This book contains three interactive train stories with a unique accompanying wind-up train toy which can be placed on the embedded track. Your child will love watching their train move around the tracks to bring the story to life.
Top Train Toys
What kid doesn't love a great toy? Chances are that the train fan in your life already has train toys, however, if toys are their thing (and yours), here are some ideas:
- Wooden Rail System- Wood systems tent to hold up over time better than the plastic sets that you can purchase. They also seem to be more universal with what types of trains can utilize the tracks.
- Duplo / Lego Track Kit- This is one of my favorites because children can incorporate the legos that they already have into this system to increase the usage of this set.
- Pop-Up Train Tunnel or Tent- Children can read about trains or play with smaller trains inside their very own train space.
- Bubble Train- Trains that blow bubbles will combine some of kid's favorite things!
- Train Mat- If space is limited or for travel purposes, a train mat with tracks on it is a great solution for when you cannot lay out a full track.
Creative Play & Art with Trains
If you are aiming for a gift that can be played with, but also educational, consider getting a creative game, art, toy, or puzzle. These presents will be engaging and stimulating since it is in an area of interest for the recipient.
- Stickers- In most toy stores you can find train stickers. You can also purchase books where you can place trains on various scenes or build your own trains with mix and match stickers.
- Models- Toy stores and hobby stores sell diecast models. You can also buy wooden punch-out models or a kit to make a clay model. Purchase some paint for additional fun in customizing the train.
- Coloring Books
- Puzzles- Puzzles are a great way to enhance motor skills and problem solving for kids. Additionally, if you found a great train scene, you could frame the puzzle.
- Games- Popular board games include: Ticket to Ride- Ages 8+, Rivers, Roads, and Rails- Ages 5+, and Thomas Train and Friends Tipsy Topsy Turvy Board Game- Ages 3+
Unique Train Gifts
These are all ideas that you can purchase or make yourself. Use as home decor or just a fun project to do with your little one. Vintage items can be found on eBay or at boutique sites. Visit The 9 Best Daily Boutique Deal Sites: Find Clearance Hand-made, Craft, Unique Items for remade treasures.
- Framed Train Prints
- Framed Time Tables
- Framed Maps
Sentimental and Memorable Train Gifts
Sometimes when a child has a lot of stuff or if you just want to do something extra-special, creating a memory can be the best gift you can give. Here are some ideas:
- Train Journey- Take the child on a real-life train! Even if it just a short journey, the experience will be memorable. Get them extra excited by letting them hold the ticket and get a map of their journey. You may also be able to find a park or zoo in the area with a small version of a train to ride.
- Train Scrapbook- Work with your child on a train scrapbook. Whether it is photos, tickets, and maps from your own train trips or just things you find online and in magazines, your child will be so engaged by making this present with you.
- Visit a Museum- Depending on where you live, you may or may not be near a train museum. However, there may also be history or transportation museums with locomotive exhibits. What a fantastic day trip for a train connoisseur!
Train Home Decorations for Rooms
If your train fan would like to spruce up his/her bedroom or playroom, consider these items:
- Train Signs- New or vintage railroad and train crossing signs will add style to the room of a train-lover.
- Train Bedding- A must for the ultimate fanatic!
- Train Rug- The rug can be both decorative and functional. Rugs with printed tracks can provide hours of fun!
- Train Table- Train tables are a great way to store and play with all of your train toys.