Best Christmas cake Recipe Ever
Best Christmas cake Recipe Ever
Christmas – a cultural and religious celebration around the world by billions of people on December 25 to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. Thanksgiving Day, Christmas and New Year with the best Christmas cake recipe ever together makes a broader holiday season.
It marks gifts, bells, Santa Claus, carols and the most important is the Traditional English Christmas cake. It should be rich and spicy with immense love embedded in it. Best Christmas cake recipe ever adds a sparkle to your Christmas dinner. A homemade food gift by you in your kitchen, presented with a lovely wrapping idea on Christmas is always a pleasure.
Here I would like to share my delicious, easy and best Christmas cake recipe ever with you, which is tried and tested and you can trust upon.
Follow these simple preparation steps and you can relish the Traditional English Christmas cake:
- A. FOR THE PEELS
250 grams mixed peels (ginger, cherries, raisins, fruits) – easily available in market.
Pre-soak the ingredients the night before you have to bake the Traditional English Christmas cake.
Soak the mixed peels in orange juice (minimum for 3 hours) and cover with a cloth (alternatively rum can also be used for a different flavor to soak the peels). Remove off the excess juice or rum and coat it with flour before use to avoid sinking in the batter.
- B. FOR THE SPICES
8 cardamoms (4 black and 4 green)
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 pinch of mace
1 pinch of nutmeg crushed
1 tsp. lemon rind or zest (lemon essence can also be used alternatively)
Mix all the above ingredients and keep aside.
- C. FOR THE CARAMEL
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp. coco powder
2 tsp. coffee powder
Mix coco powder and coffee powder with little water in a small bowl. Then caramelize the sugar – melt and cook in a non-stick pan till it gets brown. Switch off the gas and vigorously mix the coco coffee water with the caramelized sugar. Keep it aside to cool.
- D. FOR THE BATTER
250 grams flour
250 grams sugar
250 grams butter (salt less)
250 grams eggs (large size 4 eggs)
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. orange essence
½ tsp. vanilla essence
Sift flour and baking powder thrice by using a steel sieve.
Now all your preparations are done and all you have to do is just follow the steps below for baking the Traditional English Christmas cake:
- Pre-heat the oven at 180° C.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy and creamy texture with an electric hand whisk.
- Separate egg white and egg yolk with an egg separator and beat the egg white separately.
- Mix it with creamy and fluffy texture prepared in step 2 and beat again.
- Now, add the egg yolks and beat properly.
- Mix in spices prepared in (B.) and both essence.
- Gradually add sifted flour and mix at low speed with an electric hand whisk.
- Alternatively add caramel prepared in (C.) and fold in the pre-soaked peels prepared in (A.). Keep beating at low speed.
- Lastly beat it vigorously at full speed for two to three minutes.
- Transfer the cake mixture with a large kitchen spoon into the prepared tin (greased and dusted). Spread out evenly, tap the tin slightly to avoid the air bubbles and to prevent the doming effect.
- Sprinkle the blanched almonds over the surface, in case you do not want to do icing on it later.
- Bake it at 160° C for 45 to 60 minutes. Cover it with foil paper after 30 minutes and bake it for another 20 minutes. Check by inserting a skewer in the middle, if it comes out clean, it is done.
- Cool the cake in the tin, make few holes with a skewer and brush more rum or orange juice to enhance its flavor which will tickle your taste buds. Later remove it to a wire rack for proper cooling.
- Wrap it in double layered grease proof paper and then in double layered foil paper. Store in air tight container, avoid storing the cake in plastic container.
Now it’s time to impress your family and friends by serving the best Christmas cake recipe ever or gifting your rich and spicy delicious Traditional English Christmas cake during the holiday season. You can also do icing on this cake before serving and giving treat. Cake should always be packed properly and nicely, keeping in mind its freshness and decoration.
Enjoy your Traditional English Christmas cake! Wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!