- Holidays and Celebrations
Cat-Approved Gifts for Cat Lovers
Awesome Cat Art
Consult With a Cat
When choosing a gift for a cat lover, it's best to consult with a cat. Here are five top gifts from one typing cat's perspective.
1. The Furminator: It's No Ordinary Cat Comb
As a long-haired cat, I'm a great fan of the Furminator cat comb. When my caretaker uses the Furminator, she collects a surprising amount of fur with each stroke. This saves me a lot of work, reduces unsightly shedding (supposedly by up to 90%) and helps prevent hairballs. We often joke that she collects enough fur to create a whole new kitten.
Furminators for cats and dogs are described in-depth and sold at Furminator.com. You can also use the website to find retailers. Here's a tip though: These grooming tools usually sell for less on . Amazon
2. Cat Art
Most humans are charmed by some variety of cat art. Be thankful that legions of cat lovers have made high quality cat art abundant. Here are several cheap and not-so-cheap options.
- Give the Chairman Meow poster. Regardless of your political leanings, you'll probably appreciate the Chairman Meow poster. What better to hang above the food bowl? The image is also available on T-shirts, tote bags, iPhone cases and other communist cat propaganda. Chairman Meow
- Frame cat images from a publication. Buy a book, calendar or postcard set that features cat art. Some excellent featured artists to look for are Louis Wain and Eugen Hartung. Photographs of ancient Egyptian cat art can also be attractive.
- Buy an original cat painting at Etsy. You'll get a one-of-a-kind gift directly from the artist.
- Frame a print from Art.com. If you type in "cats & kittens," you'll see plenty of options categorized by genre. I like the art deco "Springtime Felines" by Edward Penfield.
- Make personalized cat art. Plenty of companies will print your cat photos onto canvas, mousepads, clothing, ceramic and other surfaces to make personalized gifts. Here are some websites to get you started: CanvasDiscount.com, VistaPrint and Walgreens.com.
A Top Cat Drinking Fountain
3. A Drinking Fountain for Cats
Cat drinking fountains circulate water and keep it clean. Being a cat, I'm naturally drawn to the constant trickle of water. It reminds me of a forest brook. Caretakers like my fountain because it requires less maintenance than refilling my bowl every day.
Add Personality to a Cat Drinking Fountain Gift
You can personalize a cat fountain gift with waterproof stickers such as those made for cars. Use pirate kitten stickers, Grateful Dead stickers, NFL team decals or whatever else would please the recipient.
4. A Cat Post & Perch
Every cat enjoys carpeted cat perches or jungle gyms. Unfortunately, these are expensive items despite being made of simple boards and carpeting. If you build or purchase cat furniture for your friend, you will attain superstar status!
Where to Buy Cat Condos
Some especially beautiful cat furniture is offered at MyCatsHeaven.com. However, the big websites Petco, Buy.com and Amazon sell the most cat furniture.
How to Build Cat Furniture
This video shows how to build a cat tree. It's medium-sized with two beds and a tunnel.
5. A Basket of Fun
Create a cat-themed gift basket. Include items for cats and a little gift for the human.
Some basic items to include in your gift basket:
- Cat treats (go for organic snacks)
- Wheatgrass seeds and possibly a pot
- Cat toys (peacock feathers are among my favorites)
- Catnip (please?)
- A pet hair tape remover
- A pet towel (this can line the gift basket)
Tip: If you give a large enough basket, cats can re-use it as a cozy bed.
Thanks for stopping by! ~ Sophie the Cat