Celebrating A December Birthday
Books On Celebrating Birthdays
Nuturing The Christmas Spirit Of Giving
- Nurturing Your Child's Christmas Spirit
Christmas giving must come from the heart. We can teach our children to know true charity. Establish traditions that will create a spirit of love that will strenthen character for life.
A birthday in December is a little tough to celebrate. The holiday events prioritize the list of things to do, places to go, gifts to buy, people to see, and if your birthday gets placed in there somewhere, consider yourself fortunate. The birthday person would never want to impose upon important events or split personal schedules to take time to celebrate.
Being a December birthday person myself, as a child I never expected too much. I can remember a celebration or two, presents, a cake some years, and nice cards given by family and friends. Did I mention that my parents had eight children? Yes, you can imagine how hard it would be to celebrate each child's birthday. It was enough to have a quick dinner together that day and express a greeting to the special birthday person.
Although, I would like to mention that through the years, I have come out on top and understand what's more important in relationships and celebrations. I remember my mom saying "I would just love to have my family around me and that's all I need" in response to our questions for birthday gift ideas. I always thought she was just being nice. Now that I am in that role, I see that it's the truth. What more can you want than health and the love of family and friends to complete you? This truth has come to embrace my outlook of living especially on my birthdays. I guess you can say it was given to me or gifted to me through my parents.
Cast your vote!
Are you a December birthday person?
Bring A Little Snow To The Party!
Famous December Birthday People
Lou Rawls 12/1
Kirk Douglas 12/9
Bobby Flay 12/10
Frank Sinatra 12/12
Steven Spielberg 12/18
Diane Sawyer 12/22
Life Life With Meaning!
God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well. —Voltaire
The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate. —Oprah Winfrey
All the world is birthday cake, so take a piece, but not too much. —George Harrison
"How far that little candle throws his beams!" —Shakespeare
"Grow old along with me the best is yet to be." —Robert Browning
How To Celebrate A December Birthday
So what am I saying here? You can celebrate December birthdays with style!
- If you are the birthday person, why not give a party in conjunction with the season? Decorate your home, bake or provide holiday foods or treats, provide some fun prizes (or small gifts for each person) and invite those you would like to spend some time with during this season. This is a great way to catch up on what's happening in other peoples lives, to share your home, and personal life happenings. You don't have to mention it's your birthday but it's OK to do so and express how much you would love to have them with you on this day.
- Again as the birthday celebrity, celebrating your birthday can be a solo event like going to a movie. What about going out to your favorite restaurant? How about ordering in a pizza or Chinese food? Play your favorite music all day, do a special celebration dance (a bit corny, right?). I know some people who buy themselves a little something extra to observe their special day. This may seem a bit lonely; nevertheless, it's all in your perspective of life... you were born and want to remember this gift.
- If you are trying to remember a December birthday person with something special, time spent with someone is always valued. I have a friend who takes me out for tea and spends a day just chatting. We have hours of great fun sharing personal events, family updates, goals and dreams. My husband and I always watch a special Christmas movie, share a bowl of popcorn, and make our special wings recipe as a quiet evening celebration. Remember this month is packed with events and a little time to just get away and breathe is therapy!
- Never underestimate the birthday phone call. We have facebook, twitter, email and other social media to post a friendly greeting but a personal call is priceless. I get a number of calls and the traditional "Happy Birthday" song sung to me (the attempts are hilarious and silly at times) every year that really puts a smile in my day. Along with that, a card sent with a written personal greeting inside always goes straight to the heart.
- Of course a birthday party in honor of the person is wonderful and can be part of the holiday celebrations. The decorations add to the moment and enhance the setting to promote good spirits and festivity. If you want to make it a little more personal, have a cake with their name on it and wrap presents in birthday paper.
A December birthday is an opportunity to celebrate the season and give of yourself in special ways. Whether you are the birthday person or celebrating someone's birthday, it's an opportunity to expand the joy of the season! And, if you are a December birthday person, "Happy Birthday!"