Creative Ideas on How To Host the Best Baby Shower Ever
Do you know a special lady who has just arrived at that wonderful place called Motherhood? Maybe you know an expectant mother that is anxiously awaiting the arrival of her new little one and you want to give her something special. You want it to be a sweet memory and something that will meet her needs and those of her precious new bundle of joy. Then why not throw a baby shower?
If you want to throw the best baby shower ever but don't have a clue where you should start, I hope the following tips will help you give that gift that will mean so much to that new mom and baby you care about.
When choosing a theme for your shower, take into consideration whether the baby is a boy or girl. If the gender is known, it will be fun to pick a theme that is gender appropriate. However, if the gender is unknown, then you will want to pick a neutral theme. There are lots of options to choose from either way. Here's some ideas you may want to borrow:
- Traditional baby blue with baby icons
- Sesame Street (Cookie Monster; Big Bird)
- Cartoons (such as Clifford the Big Red Dog)
- Puppy Dogs
- Noah's Ark or Zoo Animals
- John Deer and/or tractors
- Whimsical cars, trains, boats or airplanes
- Traditional Pink with baby icons
- Cartoons (such as Strawberry Shortcake)
- Disney (such as Tinkerbell)
- Kitty Cats
- Animal Prints (such as zebra with hot pink accents)
- Traditional baby blue with soft pink and sea green and baby icons
- Teddy Bears
- Patterns or Stripes
- Cherub babies
- Clouds, rainbows and sunshine
Decorations are such a fun part of preparing for the baby shower. Once the theme is in place, decorations are easy! Pick decorations to match your theme such as printed plates, napkins or banners. Coordinate your colors to match appropriately. For instance, if you have Big Bird plates and Cookie Monster banners put up yellow and blue balloons and streamers. Here's what may go into your theme-based décor:
- Coordinating Plates
- Colored Plastic forks and spoons
- Theme-matching napkins
- Stuffed Animals (that the baby can keep)
- Decorative Baby icons and/or useful items (such as bottles, pacifiers and baby powder that can be useful after decorating)
Games are a great way to break the ice in mixed crowds or draw buckets of laughter from close friends. Pick games that will be fun, entertaining and upbeat. Choose ones that will be fun for all ages and not distasteful. Here are a few ideas:
- Have the mommy to write a guessed or actual birth weight on a piece of paper. (Such as 7lbs. 6oz). Then have the other ladies take a birth weight guess and the closest to Mommy's answer wins!
- Take a roll of toilet paper and have all the ladies take off what they think they'll need. (Don't tell them why). Then have Mommy to take the roll and wrap paper around the width of her belly and lay it lengthwise on the floor. Have each lady to measure her toilet paper next to the mommy's and the closest one wins!
- Pass out clean and usable diapers that can be used on the baby later or make your own little paper ones. In one or two diapers squirt a little mustard into it and fold it back up. Pass out the diapers and the one who gets the "dirty diaper" stands up and sings a lullaby or quotes a nursery rhyme.
What Should I Serve?
Well, you can serve a five-course meal if you want, but generally just a few finger foods will be sufficient. You may even get by with just serving cake, but if you do that make sure that it's adorable! Now matter what you serve try to make it attractive. For instance, don't just throw bags of chips on the table but take them out of the bag and place them in pretty dishes or bowls. Okay, besides cake, here are some neat ideas of foods you may wish to serve:
- Punch or Kool-aid (Try to match the color of the punch with theme colors)
- Brownies or cookies
- Tiny sandwiches
- Fresh fruit (This is a good choice if Mommy is still pregnant or is nursing)
- Ice Cream (You may wish to garnish pregnant Mom's with a pickle for a light-hearted joke)
- Cocktail sausages
Baby Shower Games
For those of you that prefer, pre-made games or games on paper are also an option. Make sure that you have lots of pens or pencils to go around if playing paper games. When ordering any games make sure that you order enough for everyone so that no one's left out. If you're not sure where to find these games, they can be purchased at party stores or online at such sites as eBay or Amazon.
One of the biggest parts of throwing a shower is getting people to come! Who will you invite? Here are some tips to keep in mind.
- If you are throwing a shower for a co-worker only invite other co-workers that are friendly and supportive to the mom-to-be.
- The baby's grandmas are almost always good ones to invite.
- Ladies that Mommy goes to church with are usually a good choice.
- Mommy's friends should be welcome.
- Close family or family you haven't seen in awhile. Sisters, aunts and cousins are good to invite as babies have a way of bridging relationship gaps and bringing families closer.
There are so many different ways to get the word out! With today's technology there's not an excuse to miss anyone that you are wanting to invite. Just make a list of everyone that you are wanting to come and invite them in the best way that suits their personality or their ability to be reached.
- Phone call
- Hand-delivered or mailed invitations
- Text messaging
- Social websites such as Facebook
Gifts! Of course! That's why we're all gathered here after all! The right gift is of course one from the heart, and any gift that is given out of love will be treasured! However, if you have the love and the heart to give but not the gift, maybe some of these ideas will help you choose the perfect one!
To keep Baby warm & cozy:
- Blankets (light ones, thicker ones, or receiving blankets will all be useful depending on the situation)
- Pajamas, blanket sleepers, and light sleepers
- Socks and booties
- Crocheted or knitted hats
- Car seat covers to keep out drafts
To keep Baby clean, dry and pampered:
- Wet wipes
- Wipe warmer
- Baby shampoos, lotions and powders
- Lotion warmer
- Hooded towels
- Baby washcloths
- Rash ointment
- Infant grooming kit
- Cotton swabs and cotton balls
- Recorded lullaby music or musical mobile
Keeping baby fed and happy:
- Burp Cloths
- Infant Spoons
- Feeding bowls
- Sippy Cups
For bottle fed babies...
- Bottle & nipple cleaning brush
- Bottle warmers
For breastfed moms & babies...
- Nursing pads
- Inexpensive breast pump
- Lanolin (for occasional sore nipples)
To keep Baby well and healthy:
- Baby vapor rub
- Teething tablets or numbing gel
- Teething toys
- Infant gas drops for upset tummies
- Infant's liquid pain reliever
- Nasal syringe
- Baby toothbrush with non-fluoride tooth and gum gel
- Bright-colored and soft toys
- Engaging toys with music, noise and/or lights for curious little senses
- Playtime appropriate clothing
- Cabinet latches
- Plastic outlet plugs
- Safety gate
- Car window sign
- Nursery monitor
- Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors for baby's residence
- Bathtub thermometer
Other Gift Ideas:
- Gift cards (to buy what Baby needs)
- Gift cards for family meals (so Mommy don't have to cook right after baby comes)
- Handmade heirlooms
- Diaper bag
- Memory books or photo books
- Bible (to always cherish and someday read)
- Offer to babysit older children so Mom and Baby can rest
- Savings bonds
- Crib sheets